Delivering Exceptional Services

Irving Family

Advocacy Center 

Irving Family Advocacy Center

The Irving Family Advocacy Center (FAC) is a 22,000 square foot facility that opened its doors in January of 2002. It was made possible by a 2.5 million dollar bond expenditure approved by the citizens of Irving along with corporate and private donations. The purpose of the Irving Family Advocacy Center is to respond to the needs of families and victims of crime in our community. Under the direction of the Police Department, the FAC brings together a wide variety of resources focused on providing assistance and services to the residents of Irving.

The Family Advocacy Center is now home to the following:

Irving Police Department Domestic Violence Unit

The Irving Police Department is committed to reducing family violence. The Domestic Violence Unit at the Family Advocacy Center is responsible for investigating all family violence crimes and filing cases for prosecution with the Dallas County District Attorney’s office.

Domestic Violence Investigation Unit - 972-721-6560

Website-Victim Services

Contamos con personal disponible para proveer información en español acerca de servicios para victimas. Favor de llamar al 972-721-6560.

In 2002, the Irving Police Department combined two Domestic Violence Counselors and the Victim Services Coordinator under one Supervisor to form the Victim Services Unit. This unit is part of the Criminal Investigation Division and is located at the Irving Family Advocacy Center.

The Victim Services Unit contacts victims of violent crime with the goal of reducing the short and long-term effects of the trauma experienced as a result of the crime. Victim services provides crisis counseling, information about victim rights, normal reactions, crime victims compensation, safety planning, protective orders, and the criminal justice process. In addition, resource referrals can be made to meet the immediate needs of crime victims such as food, clothing, and shelter.

Victim services staff coordinate with investigators, social service agencies, school districts, district attorney's office and local coalitions to ensure that victims receive updated information and referrals to meet their needs.

Types of Crimes:

The Victim Services Coordinator handles any violent crime that is not domestic in nature. The coordinator makes contact with victims of aggravated robbery, sexual assault, hit and run, intoxicated assault, harassment and homicide. If you have been a victim of one of these crimes and need information or support, please call 972-721-6551.

The Domestic Violence Counselors provide information and referrals to victims of any type of domestic crime. The Texas Family Code defines family violence as:

An act by a member of a family or household against another member of the family or household that is intended to result in physical harm, bodily injury, assault, or sexual assault or that is a threat that reasonably places the member in fear of imminent physical harm, bodily injury, assault, or sexual assault, but does no include defensive measures to protect oneself.

If you or someone you know has been the victim of family violence, there are resources available to help. Please call 972-721-6560 and request to speak with a Domestic Violence Counselor. You can also view our resource guide to find out about available options.

If you need help and are not sure who you need to speak with, call the Victim Services Supervisor at 972-721-6550.


Victim Services staff strives to maintain the most current information on legislation and resources to help crime victims. Staff participate in local coalitions to link with other agencies and remain current on resources. The following is a list of coalitions that the staff participate in:

Domestic Violence Awareness Coalition

Latinos Against Domestic Violence

Crime Victim Council of Dallas County

Sexual Assault Awareness Coalition

Law Enforcement Victim Assistance

Victim Rights:

The Texas Code of Criminal Procedure affords victims of crime several rights. To see what your rights are as a crime victim, please go to:

Frequently Asked Questions:

I was a victim of crime and I have been feeling anxious and had difficulty sleeping ever since the offense. Am I okay?

It is common after a traumatic incident for victims to feel anxious and nervous. In addition, many victims experience difficulty sleeping, change in eating habits and difficulty focusing on simple tasks. However, if these reactions persist or cause difficulty with normal activities, it may be necessary to seek professional help. You can view a list of normal reactions. If you need assistance finding a counselor, please call our staff.

I filed a police report and I do not know what has happened with my case. How do I find out the status?  

The Victim Services Unit can assist you in finding out the status of your case and explaining the process to you. Please feel free to call between regular office hours, Monday-Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m./p>

I was a victim of crime in another city, but I currently live in Irving and I need help dealing with the crime. Can I get help through the Irving Police Victim Services Unit?

Yes, the Victim Services Unit is available to help any victim of crime.

I have heard about Crime Victim's Compensation, but I do not know if I am eligible for the program. How can I find out if the program can help me?

The Victim Services Unit can review you report to assist in determining eligibility for Crime Victim's Compensation. We maintain applications in our office and can assist you in filing out the paperwork. You can also visit the Attorney General's website to get information on eligibility and application processing at: . You may view the safety plan to get some ideas on ways to stay safe as you decide what to do about your situation. The National Domestic Violence Hotline is a 24 hour resource that can provide you with confidential information, support and referrals. You can call them at 1-800-983-9933. In addition, there are local domestic violence shelters that can provide emergency shelter, counseling and referrals as needed. See our community resource list to view some of the local domestic violence shelters.

I am a victim of domestic violence, but I do not feel that I can talk to anybody about my situation. How can I get help?

There are several resources available to you. Our main concern is your safety and we can assist you in developing a personal safety plan. In addition, you may view this

There are several different types of orders that exist. It is important that you contact someone at the police department or victim services unit if you are in fear for your safety and to find out which order would be most appropriate for you situation. You can also view our resource guide to see some of the differences in the types of orders.

I know that the suspect in my case was arrested. How will I know if they are still in jail?

You can call the Irving jail 24 hours a day to check on the status of an arrestee. If the arrestee has been transferred to the Dallas County Jail, you can register with the VINE program (Victim Information and Notification Everyday) to get updated information on custody status. You can get more information on the VINE program at Victim Services staff can also assist you with the registration process.