MANUSCRIPT VERTICAL FILES
Collection Number: MVF 5-05
Accession Number: 9900-126
Item(s): One copy of Netta Brown’s “A History of Early Irving,” c. 1949; and a 1962 Irving street map.
Producer: Capitola Bixby
Donor: Capitola Bixby
Date Received: June 26, 2000
Literary Rights Statement
Permission to publish from the collection must be obtained from the Irving Archives, Irving Public Library.
The collection consists of one copy of “A History of Early Irving” written by Netta Brown (Mrs. Otis Brown), circa 1949. The history is two-pages in length and deals primarily with Schulze and Brown’s buying the land for the town; the auction of the town's first lots; and the arrival of the various utilities. Also included in the history is a list of the additions and subdivisions developed by Otis Brown. The file also contained a 1962 street map.
The street map has been moved to the Map Collection Box #3.
Onetta “Netta” Barcus Brown, born April 21, 1880, was the daughter of William and Katye Barcus. In 1886, the Barcus family settled in the Western Heights section of Dallas.
Netta taught school in the Kit Community, located approximately one mile east of present-day downtown Irving. While boarding at the Britain farm, she met Otis Brown, who was also staying with the Britains while he worked on a railroad survey crew.
In June 1903, Netta Barcus married Otis Brown. Later that year, Otis Brown and J.O. Schulze founded the town of Irving. The Browns built the first house in the town.
Netta Barcus and Otis Brown had five sons and lived the rest of their lives in Irving. Netta Barcus Brown died at the age of seventy-seven on April 4, 1958.