Manuscript Vertical Files

Collection Number: MVF 26-09

Accession Number: 0809-140 

Item(s): An envelope postmarked at the downtown post office on its last day of service, July 2, 2009.

Producer: U. S. Post Office       

Donor: Edgar Seay, Jr.

Date Received: July 6, 2009

Literary Rights Statement: 

Permission to publish from the collection must be obtained from the Irving Archives, Irving Public Library.

Description

The file contains a M.A.L. Hobby Shop envelope on which is a postmark from the downtown Irving post office on its last day of operation, July 2, 2009. Irving received its first post office in 1904, shortly after the city was founded. Through the years, the post office was housed in various locations in the downtown area. In 1958, a building was built at Third and Hastings Streets that served as the downtown station until 2009.