Manuscript Vertical Files
Collection Number: MVF 24-19
Accession Number: 0708-133
Item(s): Photocopies of newspaper articles relating to the Estelle community, 1900-1960.
Donor: Charles Licari
Date Received: June 12, 2008
Literary Rights Statement:
Permission to publish from the collection must be obtained from the Irving Archives,
Irving Public Library.
The file contains photocopies of newspaper articles relating to the Estelle community and school. The articles date from 1900 to 1960.
Estelle was a small farming community located in what today is northwest Irving; much of it was on the site of today’s DFW Airport. The community evolved from scattered farms on Henry Burgoon’s 1853 land grant. At its height, the settlement had a steam cotton gin, 2 churches, a blacksmith, 2 doctors, and a school. By the 1940s, Estelle’s population had dwindled. The Sowers Common School District took in the Estelle School in 1948, and Irving ISD annexed Sowers CSD in 1955. The city of Irving annexed the Estelle area in 1968.