Collection Number: MVF 1-01
Accession Number: 85-10
Item(s): Irving High School graduation invitation, 1936; name card; and envelope.
Producer: Eleanor Fay Gorman, 1936 graduate
Donor: Catherine F. Brown
Date Received: October 21, 1985
Literary Rights Statement
Permission to publish from this file must be obtained from the Irving Archives, Irving Public Library.
The Irving Independent School District was created by the Texas legislature in the second session of the 31st legislature in 1909. In its first year, the district school opened its doors to about 190 students.
Prior to the creation of the IISD, most local students attended the Lively School, which was begun by a private citizen, Mark Lively. With the establishment of the IISD, the Lively School closed and its students began attending the Irving school.
The city’s first school building was a two-story wooden structure located in a block bounded by Second Street to the north, Jefferson Street on the west, and Delaware Street on the east. In 1913, a three-story brick building, housing all grades, was built in the same block. In 1936, a separate high school was constructed, also in the same block. All Irving schools were located in this block until the late 1940s, when a new high school was built on Sixth Street (today’s Bowie Junior High School) in 1949. By the late 1940s, there were approximately 1,500 students and 42 teachers in the Irving Independent School District.
The 1950s and 1960s saw a rapid expansion in the city’s population and an equally rapid expansion in the size of the school district. In 1999, Irving's population was approximately 180,000. During the 1999-2000 school year, the Irving Independent School District provided for the education of 28,000 students and employed a staff of 3,328.