return to Irving Archives Collection Guide  

Guide to the

CHARLES AND CATHERINE SCHULZE PAPERS
1883-1998

2 linear ft.

Collection Number: 31

Accession Numbers: 9798-24; 9798-74; 9798-76; 9798-89;
9798-115; 9900-10; 0001-51

Prepared by Kevin Kendro
November 2001

CITATION:  Charles and Catherine Schulze Papers, Collection 31, Box number, Folder number, Irving Archives, Irving Public Library.

Biographical Sketch

     Charles P. Schulze, Jr., son of Charles P. Schulze and Virginia Tucker, was born January 2, 1913.  Charles, the elder, was the brother of J. O. Schulze, a co-founder of the City of Irving.

     Charles, Jr., attended Irving schools for six years and then transferred to Holy Trinity School in Dallas for one year. He spent three years at Dallas Academy and graduated from North Dallas High School.  Mr. Schulze then attended St. Edward’s University in Austin, graduating with a degree in business administration in 1933.

     After graduation, Mr. Schulze spent a brief time teaching, attending law school, and working for the Pittsburgh Plate Glass Company.  In 1935, he went to work for Sun Oil Company, where he remained for ten years.

     In 1936, Charles Schulze, Jr. married Catherine O’Connell.  Ms. O’Connell, born in 1915, was the daughter of John J. O’Connell and Daisy Potter O’Connell.  A native of Dallas, Catherine O’Connell Schulze graduated from Ursuline Academy, then attended Loyola University in New Orleans, graduating in 1936 with a degree in English.

     The Schulzes traveled throughout west and south Texas for ten years while he worked for Sun Oil Company.  In 1945, the Schulzes moved to Irving so that Charles could join his father in the family lumber business.  Irving Lumber Company was founded by J. O. Schulze in 1903.  His brother Charles took over the business in 1905 when J. O. returned to his home state of Iowa. 

     Through the years, the Schulzes were active in civic, social, and church activities.  Charles was elected to two terms on the Irving city council, 1951-1955.  He ran for mayor, losing in a runoff in 1955.  While in office, he was instrumental in promoting the city charter election of 1952.  In addition to operating the lumber company, Mr. Schulze was on the board of directors of Irving Bank & Trust.  In 1960, he opened Handy House, one of the first retail-oriented home improvement stores in the country.  Mr. Schulze was also active in the Irving Chamber of Commerce, serving as its president in the late 1950s, and in the Downtown Association.
 
     The Schulzes were very involved with the Catholic Church.  They donated the land for the St. Luke church and school facilities in Irving.  Mr. Schulze was on the board of directors of the University of Dallas and Catholic Charities.  Mrs. Schulze served as president of the Diocesan Council of Catholic Women and was a member and past president of the St. Luke’s Altar Society. 

     Mrs. Schulze was also the first president of the Junior Irving Garden Club, which later became the Irving Woman’s Club and was co-founder of the Irving Symphony League.  She was also instrumental in establishing the Irving Heritage Society.

Sources: 

The Charles and Catherine Schulze Papers, Collection 31, Irving Archives, Irving Public Library.

Interview with Charles P. Schulze, Jr., c. 1986.  Tape #24A, Oral History Collection, Irving Archives, Irving Public Library.

Interview with Charles and Catherine Schulze, May 19, 1997.  Tape #18A, Oral History Collection, Irving Archives, Irving Public Library. 
  
Series Description

The Charles and Catherine Schulze Papers are arranged in five series:

Series I.  Personal Documents, 1883-1998.  .3 linear ft. (10 folders)
Arranged chronologically.  Contracts, deeds, correspondence, invitations, clubs and organizations, remembrances.  Photocopies of the documents are in the front of the folder.

Series II.  City Government Related Documents, 1940s-1990s. .4 linear ft.  (9 folders).
Arranged by type.  City council meeting agenda, ordinances, budget material, bond sale notes, incorporation information, DART election material, correspondence, zoning information.

Series III.   Publications, 1940s-1980s (bulk 1950s).  .7 linear ft.
Arranged by type.  Development plans, zoning ordinances, water supply reports, city budgets, charters from Irving and other Texas cities, financial reports on city departments, promotional booklets.

Series IV.  Yearbooks, 1930-1931. .1 linear ft.
Arranged chronologically.  The Tower from St Edward’s University.

Series V.  Maps, 1902-1943. 5 maps.
Blueprint of Chicago, Rock Island & Gulf original survey, 1902; plat map of Otis Brown Addition to Irving, 1906; corrected plat of Irving, Texas, 1909; Otis Brown Addition to Sowers Cemetery, 1926; Road Map of Dallas County, Texas, 1943.

Series VI.  Newspapers and Newspaper Clippings, 1903-1960s. .3 linear ft. 
Complete issues arranged by title and date.  Encapsulated individual articles are in no particular order.

Series VII.  Photographs, 1902-1950s (bulk 1902-1920).  .2 linear ft.
Arranged in photo sleeves in a photo album.  All are black and white, primarily of the survey crew.

Scope and Content Note

     The Charles and Catherine Schulze Papers are housed in two manuscript boxes, one oversize box, one cubic-foot box, one photo album, one large map folder, which is located in the Flat File Cabinet, and a newspaper folder that is located in the Newspaper Cabinet.

     Series I is a made up of various types of personal documents relating to the Schulze family. The correspondence is mainly to J. O. Schulze seeking information on the Chicago, Rock Island Railway and to Charles Schulze, Jr., relating to city business.  Also included are invitations to various openings and dedications, miscellaneous receipts, lists, notes, etc. collected by Mr. and Mrs. Schulze, newsletters and publications relating to clubs in which the Schulzes were members, and remembrances from funeral services.

     Notable in this series is the 1905 contract in which C. P. Schulze buys a one-half interest in Irving Lumber Company from J. O. Schulze; a 1905 contract between the Lively School Board and Irving Lumber Company to supply material to build a school building; and a telegram announcing the birth of J. O. and Agnes Schulze’s first son in 1904.  Also included are invitations to the dedications of St. Luke’s Catholic Church buildings in 1928 and 1954 and an invitation to the dedication of the city hall building in 1956.

     Series II consists of documents Charles Schulze accumulated during his tenure in city government.  For the most part, these are agenda for council meetings from 1953-1955.  Included is a small amount of correspondence, reports on zoning, notes on bond sales, and campaign material from the DART election, 1996.

     Series III is made up of bound publications and reports pertaining to city government.  Foremost are municipal development plans and Irving’s zoning ordinance in various printings from 1953 to 1984.  Also included are several water supply reports dating to the early 1950s, the charter of the cities of Irving and Garland, and financial examinations of city departments from the early 1950s.  Of particular note are the City of Irving’s Annual Budgets from the years 1953 and 1954.  Also of interest are two promotional booklets produced by the chamber of commerce in 1946 and 1949 touting Irving’s advantages to businesses around the country.

     Series IV is made up of two yearbooks from St. Edward’s University in Austin, Texas, 1930 and 1931.  C. P. Schulze, Jr., graduated from St. Edward’s in 1933.

     Series V consists of five maps: a blueprint of the original Chicago, Rock Island & Gulf survey map of the section surveyed by Schulze and Brown, 1902; a plat map of the Otis Brown Addition to Irving, 1906; a Corrected Plat Map of Irving, 1909; a plat map of the Otis Brown Addition to Sowers Cemetery, 1926; and a Road Map of Dallas County, Texas, 1943.  All the maps are encapsulated.

     Series VI is made up of newspapers and newspaper clippings.  Most of the complete issues of the papers pertain to the debate during the 1950s about making Irving Blvd. and Second Street one-way streets.

     Complete editions of particular note in the collection are the first issue of the Irving Index, December 19, 1903, and the Irving Index from July 2, 1904, reporting on the post office moving from Kit to Irving.  There is also a complete edition of The Irving Herald from October 8, 1931.  This is the “Progress Edition” containing articles about the businesses of Irving at the time and reflections back to the founding of the city by early local residents.

     Also included in Series VI are clippings from various newspapers dating from the 1910s to the 1950s.  A large number of the articles pertain to the fiftieth anniversary of the founding of the city, 1953.  Included in the clippings is Netta Brown’s “History of Early Irving” published in the December 16, 1949, edition of The Irving Herald.  The clippings have been encapsulated.  Photocopies of the clippings have been made and are in the box with the clippings.

     Included in the newspaper folder is an architect’s drawing of the proposed Senter Park Youth Center, 1954.

     Series VII, Photographs, consists of 77 black-and-white photographs.  The bulk of the photos are of the survey crew, 1902-1903.

Provenance Statement

     The Charles and Catherine Schulze Papers were donated to the Irving Archives by Charles and Catherine Schulze in eight accessions from 1997-1999.  Prior to its donation to the Archives, the material was in the Schulzes’ possession.

Literary Rights Statement

     Permission to publish from the Charles and Catherine Schulze Papers must be obtained from the Irving Archives, Irving Public Library. 

Container List 

Series I.  Personal Documents, 1883-1998

Box 1

Folder  

   1     Contracts, Deeds, Wills, 1883-1923
Contract between J.O. Schulze and the Lively School District to supply the materials for building a school, 1905; contract between J.O. and C.P. Schulze in which C.P. buys half interest in Irving Lumber Co., 1905; agreement between City and C.P. and Virginia Schulze concerning conditions for donating land as a city park, 1933 (2 copies); deeds for various land purchases by Schulze and Brown, 1902-1910; will of P.P. and Ella Tucker created 1917, filed 1923; and Order Probating Will, 1923.  Photocopies of the documents are in the front of the folder.

   2     Correspondence, 1904-1973
Telegram announcing the birth of the Schulzes’ son to relatives in Iowa City, Iowa, 1904; letter from Irving Lumber to a delinquent patron, 1910; letter to J.O. Schulze's daughter seeking information on the CRI&G Railway, 1939; letter from J.O. Schulze responding to the request for information, 1939; response to Schulze's letter seeking more information, 1939; letter from Irving Chamber of Commerce bestowing a lifetime honorary membership on J.O. Schulze, 1956; letter notifying C.P. Schulze, Jr., about a zoning case, 1965; form letter from the City concerning an upcoming county bond election, 1969; letter from C.P. Schulze, Jr., to Morris Howard, city manager, concerning extending Rock Island Road, 1970;  letter from City about a public hearing concerning sidewalks in the downtown area, 1970; letter to C.P. Schulze, Jr., from the University of Dallas requesting he sign some documents regarding an easement, 1971; announcement of a neighborhood meeting concerning proposed land use for central Irving, 1976; and an announcement of a meeting concerning zoning classification, n.d.

   3     Invitations, 1896-1982
J.O. Schulze’s high school graduation invitation from Iowa City High School, 1896; newspaper advertisement inviting people to the Irving town lot auction, 1903; Irving Founders Day Luncheon, 1949; dedication of St. Luke Catholic Church, 1928 and 1954; opening of city hall, 1956; program for Irving being designated a Bicentennial City, 1974; Dallas County Historical Commission Annual Awards Luncheon, 1982.
  
   4     Miscellaneous Documents, c. 1950s-1970s
Irving Lumber Company receipt and letterhead; map of Plymouth Park Shopping Center; Serra Club membership list 1951 and 1952; St. Luke Catholic Church fact sheet, 1974; “A History of Early Irving,” by Netta Brown, 1949 (contained in a mylar sleeve); “Irving Near Dallas” advertising tri-fold, c. 1905 (contained in a mylar sleeve); article by J.O. Schulze about developing a new style airport, c. 1940: campaign cards for Charles Schulze and Robert Nelson from 1957 election; article about the Novitsky family, 1984; prospectus and notice about the opening of DFW Airport, 1973; list of Irving’s “Old Timers,” 1953; reminiscence of early Irvingites Leonard Pike and H.L. Watkins; Southwestern States Telephone Company rate sheet; and notes on office space and rents, n.d.

   5     Organizations – Downtown Association, 1955-1956
Downtown Idea Exchange national newsletter, 1955; agenda of executive committee meeting of the Downtown Irving Association, 1956; letter from the National Parking Association, 1956; and news article “Irving Plans to Expand Downtown,” 1956.

   6     Organizations – Chamber of Commerce, 1967-1973
Newsletters, 1967-1973, (sporadic); and Chamber of Commerce Organization Structure and Program of Action tri-folds, 1967-68, 1968-69, and 1970-71.

   7     Organizations – Garden Club of Irving, 1934-1938
Constitution and by-laws, typewritten, c. 1934; letterhead; newspaper clipping, 1937; and yearbooks, 1936-37 and 1937-38.

   8     Organizations – Irving Woman’s Club, 1959-1998 
Invitations to the 20th and 50th anniversary parties, and newspaper clippings, 1959, 1963, 1968, and 1987.
    
   9     Organizations – Junior Book Review Club, 1963-1964
Yearbook, 1963-1964.

   10    Remembrances – 1992-1998
Obituary, photographs, and remembrance from Sister Mary Schulze’s funeral, 1993; newspaper article about Sister Lockett, 1992; remembrance from Sister Clodovia Lockett’s funeral, 1993; and remembrance from Sally B. Elliot’s funeral, 1998.

Series II. City Government Related Documents, 1946-1996

Box 2

   1     Agendas, January-May 1953
Contains the agenda of City Council meetings January-May 1953.

   2     Agendas, June-December 1953
Contains the agenda of City Council meetings, June-December 1953.

   3     Agendas, January-May 1954
Contains the agenda of City Council meetings, January-May 1954.

   4     Agendas, June-December 1954
Contains the agenda of City Council meetings, June-December 1954.

   5     Agendas, January-May 1955
Contains the agenda of City Council meetings, January-May 1955.

   6     City Council Documents, 1952
Contains documents produced during Mr. Schulze’s first term on the city council. These include ordinances; general fund budget reports; notice of a bond sale; information on a proposed water project; incorporation information; and a proposal from Lone Star Gas for a rate increase.

   7     Correspondence, 1951-1955
Contains correspondence received by Mr. Schulze as a member of the city council.  Included in the file is Mr. Schulze’s certificate of bonding as a member of the city council.

    8     City Government Documents, 1946, 1947, 1954, and c. 1970
Contains various documents relating to the city government such as: a proposed land use map, c. 1977; three bid-cards for an unknown project, 1954; notes on the steps needed to adopt a zoning ordinance, 1947; a zoning ordinance for and zoning map of Texas City, Texas, 1946; information on a 1966 bond election; census projections, c. 1970; results of a survey of downtown shoppers, n.d.; and handwritten notes relating to bonds, n.d.  An architectural drawing 19″x30″ of the proposed Youth Center at Senter Park has been encapsulated and placed in the Schulze Papers newspapers folder in the Newspaper Cabinet, Drawer 1.

   9     DART Campaign, 1996
Contains publications, fliers, and other campaign material from the pro-DART faction for the 1996 DART election. 

Series III.  City Government Publications, 1940s-1970s

Box 3   

     Box 3 is a cubic foot box, containing city government related publications accumulated by Mr. Schulze during his terms on the city council, but also during the ensuing years. These are divided into eight groups and are listed below.

Development Plans

The City Plan for Sherman, 1950-51:  plan developed by Koch and Fowler Consulting Engineers for the city of Sherman, Texas, previous to the firm’s developing its plan for Irving.  

Koch and Fowler Plan, 1954:  The Irving City Plan; Irving, Texas, 1954, A Guide for Future Development: A Report to the City Commission from The City Planning and Zoning Commission, prepared by Koch and Fowler Consulting Engineers  (2 copies).

The 3rd Annual Area Development Workshop, 1959:  a compilation of the talks given at the workshop.

Leipziger Comprehensive Development Plan, 1960:  First Progress Report, 1958; Second Progress Report, 1959; Preliminary Comprehensive Development Plan, 1959; and Irving Comprehensive Development Plan, 1960.
Also: Comprehensive Development Plan Summary compiled by the League of Women Voters of Irving, 1960.   

abc’s of Community Planning, 1962:  a report by Sears and Roebuck describing the type of planning needed to improve the physical, social, and economic welfare of communities.

City of Irving Central Business District, 1969:  a plan by Bernard Johnson Engineers, Inc., to physically revitalize the central business district, 1969.

Future Structure of the North Central Texas Region, 1970:  a North Central Texas Council of Governments publication concerning the potential impact of DFW Airport on area population and employment projections, 1970.

City of Irving South Area Study, 1973:  one sector of an eight sector city-wide master development plan.

Irving-Downtown, n.d.:  a 4-page document stating what downtown is and what it could be.

Zoning

Zoning Ordinance Irving, Texas, 1953:  a zoning ordinance prepared by Koch and Fowler.  Two mimeographed copies of the ordinance and two mimeographed copies of “A Guide for Zoning Administration.”

1964 Comprehensive Zoning Ordinance of the City of Irving, Texas: zoning ordinance adopted November 1964. “Revised July 1, 1965” is stamped on the front.
 
Comprehensive Zoning Ordinance No. 1144, third printing, 1974:  a  copy of the zoning ordinance amended to 1974.

City of Irving Comprehensive Development Codes, eighth printing, August 1984:  a copy of the zoning ordinance amended to 1984.

Water

Report on Water Supply for Irving, Grand Prairie, and Arlington, 1952:  study of possible water sources for the three cities by Powell & Powell Consulting Civil Engineers.

Cities of Grand Prairie and Irving Water Supply Study and Report for Greater Grand Prairie-Irving Area, 1954:  a report by Homer A. Hunter Associates Consulting Engineers assessing future water needs for Irving, Grand Prairie, and surrounding area.

Water Resources Development by the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, 1971:  a listing and description of Corps of Engineer water projects in Texas.

Budgets

City of Irving Annual Budget, Oct. 1, 1953-Sept. 30, 1954

City of Irving Annual Budget, Oct. 1, 1954-Sept. 30, 1955:  inside is the city manager’s budget message to the council.

Charters

Charter of the City of Irving: printed copies (4) of the first edition of the city charter, 1952.                   

Charter of the City of Garland:  copy of the Garland city charter.

Texas Municipal Retirement System

Texas Municipal Retirement Act:  pamphlet of House Bill No. 166, ACTS 51st Legislature, 1949.

Information Handbook on Your Benefits, 1952:  employees’ handbook of information, 1952.

Texas Municipal Retirement System Sixth Annual Report, 1953:  financial report of the TMRS, 1953.

League of Texas Municipalities, 1954:  program from the League’s annual convention held in Fort Worth, Texas, October 24-26, 1954.

Financial Reports

Report of Examination City of Irving, 1952: an examination of the municipal accounts and records of the City of Irving for the fiscal year ended September 30, 1952.

Report of Examination Water and Sewer Utility, 1952: an examination of the accounts and records of the Water and Sewer Utility of the City of Irving for the fiscal year ended September 30, 1952.

Report of Examination City of Irving, 1954:  an examination of the municipal accounts and records of the City of Irving for the fiscal year ended September 30, 1954.

Report of Examination Water and Sewer Utility, 1954: an examination of the accounts and records of the Water and Sewer Utility of the City of Irving for the fiscal year ended September 30, 1954.

Promotional

Report on Irving, Texas its Economic and Cultural Advantages: a Chamber of Commerce publication promoting Irving to business interests, c. 1946.

This is Irving; In Texas’ Foremost Metropolitan Area: a Chamber of Commerce publication promoting Irving to business interests, c. 1949.

Irving Pageant of Homes, 1953:  a pamphlet containing pictures of the houses presented in the pageant of homes which was part of Irving’s 50th anniversary celebration.
  
Series IV.  Yearbooks, 1930-1931

     Consists of two yearbooks, The Tower, from St. Edward’s University, Austin, Texas, 1930 and 1931.   

Series V.  Maps, 1902-1943

Map Collection, Map Folder 8

1.     Blueprint of the original survey map of the section of the CRI&G Railway surveyed by Schulze and Brown, 1902 (encapsulated).  This map is approximately 1′x8′ and is housed in row two on the flat items shelves not in Folder 8.

2.     Plat map of the Otis Brown Addition to Irving, Dallas County,Texas, 1906 (encapsulated).

3.     Corrected plat map of Irving, Dallas County, Texas, 1909 (encapsulated).

4.     Plat of the Otis Brown Addition to Sowers Cemetery, 1926 (encapsulated).

5.     Road Map of Dallas County, Texas, 1943 (encapsulated).

Series VI. Newspapers and Newspaper Clippings, 1903-1960s

Box 4

Folder 

The following newspapers contain articles relating to the debate about and the process of making Irving Boulevard and Second Street one-way streets.

   1     Newspapers – The Irving Herald, 1956
Contains The Irving Herald for August and September, 1956.

   2     Newspapers – The Irving News Record, 1956 and 1958
Contains The Irving News Record from July-September 1956 and July 24, 1958.

   3     Newspapers – The Irving News Citizen, 1956, The Irving Citizen, 1954, the Irving News, 1956, and Irving Daily News Texan, 1964. Contains an issue of The Irving News Citizen from August 19, 1956; The Irving Citizen from June 17, 1954; the Irving News from July and September, 1956; and the Irving Daily News Texan from April 16, 1964 (this edition commemorates the 50th anniversary of the incorporation of Irving.)    
 
      Also included in this box are individual encapsulated newspaper articles clipped from various newspapers, primarily Irving papers, ranging from the 1910s-1960s, with the bulk falling between 1949-1953.  A large number of the articles pertain to the activities relating to the 50th anniversary of the founding of the city, 1953.  In certain of these articles, Schulze, Brown, R.M. Hudson, and others discuss the founding and early years of the city.  The 1950s building boom is another topic addressed in the clips.  Netta Brown’s “History of Early Irving” published in the December 16, 1949, edition of The Irving Herald is included.
        
Newspaper Folder in Newspaper Cabinet

     Several newspapers have been encapsulated in whole.  These papers have been placed in a newspaper folder marked “Schulze Papers, Collection 31” and put in the Newspaper Cabinet, Drawer 1.  They include:

Irving Index, Vol. 1, No. 1, December 19, 1903.  First edition of the Index.  There is a hand annotation “First copy off the press.”  The center of the front page has a large hole in it.  The remainder is in good condition.

Irving Index, Vol. 1, No. 28, July 2, 1904.  “It Is Now Irving”  Post office moves from Kit to Irving.

The Irving Herald, Vol. VII, No. 13, October 8, 1931, Progress Edition.  Contains articles on Otis Brown’s founding and naming the town; the Northwest Dallas County Civic Association; Robinson’s Drug Store; Shadylea Golf Course; and Lone Star Camp for Underprivileged.  The “Progress Edition,” which consists of sections 2 and 3, is a report on Irving’s growth.  It contains articles on Irving businesses such as Range Brothers; Irving Lumber; and Irving State Bank, among others.

St. Edward’s Echo, Vol. XIV, No. 4, November 9, 1932.  Campus newspaper of St. Edward’s University.

The Irving News, Vol. 1, No. 51, January 5, 1934.  Contains an article about Charles and Virginia Schulze donating land for a city park.  

The Irving Herald, Vol. XXIII, Number 55, May 11, 1948.  Contains headline article about the Irving Garden Club.
Collection 31  Charles & Catherine Schulze Papers:  Container List

Included with these complete editions is a four-page section (encapsulated) of The Dallas Morning News, May 22, 1949, concerning the development of Irving and Grand Prairie.

Series VII.  Photographs, 1902-1950s (bulk 1902-1920)

     This series consists of 79 black-and-white photographs.  The photographs are in acid-free photo sleeves in an acid-free photo album.  The bulk of the photos are of the survey crew, c. 1902-1903.  There are a few photos of the Williamson family and the E. M. Story family, c. 1910s-1920s.  There is a description of each photo in the front of the photo album.

Photographs

1.     C.P Schulze Sr. with fox.
2.     J.O. Schulze sitting with fox in front of tent.
3.     J.O. Schulze in suit and hat against wall.
4.     Agnes Sueppel Schulze (home on Hastings St).
5.     Joseph Schulze (grandfather of C. P. Schulze Jr.)
6.     C. P. Schulze Sr. in yard.
7.     C. P. Schulze Sr. in first car.
8.     Agnes Sueppel Schulze and friend in carriage.
9.     "My first ride to Brown tank" - August 1910 - Virginia Tucker, ranch, Pyote, Texas.
10.   "First ride to Brown tank, Madeline, Henrietta and Virginia" - August 1910.
11.   Virginia Schulze and friends visiting ranch in Pyote, TX. about 1910.
12.   C. P. Schulze Jr. in daddy's car (c.1914). 303 O'Connor Heritage House.
13.   Survey crew in front of tent.  C. P. Schulze Sr. first on left.
14.   Copy of photo #13.
15.   Pet of the crew - dog on chair.
16.   Some of the survey crew in gazebo.
17.   Faded copy of #16.
18.   Man holding crew's dog.
19.   Landscape - water and shoreline - unidentified.
20.   Survey crew resting in woods.
21.   Survey crew posing with instruments in front of tents.
22.   Faded copy of photo #21.
23.   Unidentified man standing in field.
24.   Covered wooden bridge.
25.   Men standing in front of covered wooden bridge.
26.   Members of crew with dog in front of tent.
27.   Copy of photo #26.
28.   Men working on wood trestle.
29.   Man posing with horse.
30.   Man sitting on horse.
31.   Three men standing in a field.
32.   Faded copy of photo #31.
33.   Survey crew on rocks on side of gazebo.
34.   Faded copy of photo #33.
35.   Five of survey crew posed in front of a tent.
36.   Some of the crew on iron bridge ("perhaps the Grauwyler crossing of the Trinity" on back).
37.   Crew posed on riverbank.
38.   Darkened copy of #37.
39.   Darkened copy of #37.
40.   Survey crew posing with equipment (man lying on ground).
41.   Irving State Bank Board c. 1949 8x10 b&w
42.   J.O. Schulze smoking pipe, c.1950s 5x7 b&w
43.   J.O. Schulze smoking pipe, c. 1950s 5x7 b&w
44.   Six members of the survey crew posed around a transom. Studio photo c. 1902. Two sitting.  All holding a tool of
        the trade. 4x5½ b&w
45.   Survey crew, 5 members in front of tent, three sitting, two standing c. 1902 3¼x4¼ b&w
46.   Men sitting and leaning on railroad flatcar, n.d. 3½x4¾ sepia
47.   Side view of C.P. Schulze house 303 S. O’Connor (Heritage House) built 1912, photo c. 1912, 3½x4¾ b&w.
48.   Front view of C.P. Schulze house 303 S. O’Connor (Heritage House) built 1912, photo c. 1912 3½x4¾ b&w.
49.   Survey crew wagon train, c. 1902 3¾x4¾ sepia
50.   Interior of survey tent man sitting in chair reading the newspaper, c. 1902 3¼x4¼ b&w
51.   J.O. Schulze at desk in tent, c. 1902 3½x4¾ b&w
52.   Duplicate of #12
53.   E. M. Story home 304 S. Britain. Front left to right: Clarence, Jane, Myrtle; back row left to right: unidentified,
        E. M. Story, Mrs. E. M. Story, 1909 3½x5½ b&w (postcard)
54.   E. M. Story children left to right: Lewis, Myrtle, Clarence, and Jane, 1909 3½x5½ b&w (postcard)
55.   Myrtle and Jim White, 1919 2½x4¼ b&w
56.   Kate, Early, Myrtle, and friends at 304 S. Britain 3¼x4¼ b&w
57.   Five women of the Garden Club of Irving on outing to Ft. Worth, Mrs. R.E. Fulton, her sister name not known,         Mrs Charles Wilson; Mrs. C.P. Schulze; and Mrs. Wilson Mickey, c. 1935.  
58.   Irving school class photo - 6th grade 1923-1924.
59.   Irving school class photo - 5th grade 1922-1923.
60.   Williamson home 1912.  L to R  Mr. and Mrs. Williamson, Mr. and Mrs. C. P. Schulze Sr., Joe Williamson, and         Mae Williamson.
61.   Damaged copy of photo #43.
62.   Williamson home - south end of Senter Road.  L to R  Schulzes, Williamsons, Williamson children.
63.   Photo of wood plank bridge across river. (Unidentified)
64.   People posing on wood plank bridge.  (Unidentified)
65.   Survey crew tent site.
66.   Survey crew (hats on) with instruments.  (C.P. Schulze Sr. left end: next to transit).
67.   Survey crew (hats off) with instruments.
68.   Survey crew in campsite (tents in background)
69.   Survey crew at campsite.  (Wood plank bridge in background).
70.   Survey crew at campsite.  (Wood plank bridge in background).
71.   Some of survey crew in camp.
72.   Proof-sheet copy of crew posed with survey instruments.
73.   Crew posed with survey instruments.
74.   Duplicate of #73
75.   Some of crew posed in front of a tent with surveying equipment.
76.   Survey crew posed on wagon in field.
77.   Survey crew posed on wagon at the foot of Main Street, Dallas, Texas  1911.  (Old waterworks in background).