Guide to the
JAMES AND BARBARA MORELAND COLLECTION
.25 linear ft.
Accession Number: 0001-09
Collection Number 33
CITATION: The James and Barbara Moreland Collection, Box Number, Irving Archives, Irving Public Library.
Scope and Content Note
The collection consists of a scrapbook, an Irving High School girls’ basketball letter jacket from 1950, and two scanned images. The scrapbook pertains to James Moreland’s terms on the Irving Independent School District board of trustees.
James Moreland, an Irving High School graduate, was elected to the IISD board of trustees in 1959. Mr. Moreland was re-elected twice, serving a total of three terms on the board. During his terms, Mr. Moreland served as chairman of the board, vice chairman, and secretary of the board.
The primary contents of the scrapbook are newspaper ads relating to Mr. Moreland’s campaigns and articles about the elections. Also included are articles about school building dedications, particularly Irving High School on O’Connor Road, and synopses of business conducted at board meetings. Of particular interest is a 1966 press release on the integration of the Irving public schools.
Other items in the scrapbook are a souvenir program from the dedication of the Irving High School complex on O’Connor Road in 1961, and a publication entitled A Look at Your Public Schools after Five Years: Irving Public Schools 1956-1961. The publication contains statistics relating to the operation of the school district, photos of all the schools in the system at the time, and photos of students and teachers in the classroom.
Barbara Cannon Moreland is a 1950 graduate of Irving High School. The collection contains Mrs. Moreland’s Irving High School basketball letter jacket from the 1950 season. The jacket is made of gold satin with a gold and black letter I on the left front. The jacket has four award patches on the sleeves from the 1950 season.
Scanned copies of two photographs are also part of the collection. Mrs. Moreland is a descendent of the Borah family, who were pioneers to northwest Dallas County. One of the images is of the Borah house and the other is of the Borah barn and original cabin, which was built in 1860.
The James and Barbara Moreland Collection, accession number 0001-09, was donated to the Irving Archives by Barbara Moreland on October 3, 2000. Prior to its donation to the Archives, the material was in the Morelands’ possession.
Literary Rights Statement
Permission to publish from the James and Barbara Moreland Collection must be obtained from the Irving Archives, Irving Public Library.
Scrapbook, 1959-1972 (bulk 1959-1967)
Contains a scrapbook relating to James Moreland’s years on the Irving Independent School District Board of Trustees.
Letter Jacket, 1950
Contains an Irving High School girls’ basketball letter jacket from the 1950 season.
Digital Images, n.d.
Two scanned black-and-white images. One image is of the Borah house in Estelle and the other is of the Borah barn with the original 1860 cabin shown. Barbara Moreland is a Borah descendent. The Borah family came to northwest Dallas County in the 1850s.