Guide to the
HINTON FAMILY PAPERS
7 linear in.
Accession Numbers: 0102-175 and 0203-07
Collection Number: 45
Prepared by Kevin Kendro
Revised Feb. 2007
CITATION: The Hinton Family Papers, Collection 45, Box number, Folder number, Irving Archives, Irving Public Library.
Harwood Hinton, Jr., wrote the following Biographical Sketch for the Hinton Family Papers’ finding aid in December 2006.
Harwood Perry Hinton, Sr. (March 18, 1870 – May 5, 1956), was born near Marshall (Harrison County), Texas, the son of Albert Perry and Mary Sims Garrott Hinton. She was the daughter of Confederate Brig. Gen. Isham Warren Garrott, a prominent lawyer in Marion, Alabama, who was killed at the battle of Vicksburg on June 17, 1863. Albert Hinton had served as a lieutenant (quartermaster) in Phelan's Light Artillery Battery (Alabama). In 1866 Albert married Mary Garrott and moved members of the Hinton and Garrott families from Alabama to Marshall, where his brother, William Rosser Hinton (deceased), had started a cotton plantation in the late 1840s.
Harwood faced changing fortunes as a youth. Mary Hinton died March 5, 1880 (age 33), leaving six children. The three youngest children were sent to live with the Garrotts, who had settled in Houston. Albert and his three older boys – Warren, Harwood, and Albert, Jr. -- tried farming near Cleburne, Texas, until the father's death in January 1883 (age 44). Harwood and Albert spent two years with an uncle in Uniontown, Alabama, then lived with Hinton kin near Waskom (Harrison County), Texas. In 1887 Harwood clerked for his Uncle T. R. Garrott in a commissary in the sawmill town of Groveton. Warren and Albert joined their siblings in Houston. In 1891 Harwood attended the spring semester at Texas A & M College, in College Station.
In the summer of 1891, Hinton moved with the T. R. Garrott family to Hall County in the Texas Panhandle. Garrott, with money from his father-in-law, Z. C. Collier, opened a lumberyard at Newlin, a whistle stop on the Fort Worth & Denver Railroad, on the north side of the Red River. Harwood filed on a section of land south of the river, near Mountain Creek, and lived in a dugout for several years. He worked for Garrott as a wagon freighter. When local businessmen obtained a rail spur across the river and founded the town of Estelline, Garrott built a lumberyard, hotel, church, and mercantile store there. On one occasion, Hinton helped a Garrott crew drive a horse herd from Estelline across North Texas to Marshall to trade for young cattle to ship back to the Panhandle.
In early 1902, Hinton married Pinkie Elizabeth Parsons of Lockney (near Plainview), Texas. Her father held a government mail contract, and Harwood began driving a mail hack between Lockney and Estelline. He traded his Estelline property for a 207-acre farm near Lockney. The couple had two sons: James Floyd (b. 1903) and Tom Ross (b. 1906). Pinkie started a poultry farm, and in 1909 entered competition at the State Fair in Dallas. She had published articles in the Southern Poultryman, and the magazine asked her to operate a subscription booth at the fair. On her return home, Pinkie suggested that the family move to Dallas County.
In 1910 Hinton traded his farm (with 1 house and furniture) near Lockney to J. W. McIntyre for 63 acres (with 2 houses and furniture), located about two miles southeast of Irving. The acreage was somewhat in the shape of a "T." One strip of land ran west from Wildwood Drive along the north side of Shady Grove Road toward Eagle Ford Road.
Another strip (narrow) ran south from the Shady Grove -- Eagle Ford junction along the west side of Eagle Ford and down to the second creek in the Trinity River bottoms. Also included was a 20-acre tract lying northwest of the junction – later called the McLemore Addition (farmed by J. M. Mitchell). At the southwest corner of the junction was a towering hickory nut grove, with a frame house and a dug well. To the south, a second house sat on the brow of the slope down to the river. Both houses faced east, and each had a pear orchard.
The hickory grove boasted a legend. H. W. Britain, who lived nearby at the future site of Cluck's dairy, told Hinton that old-timers claimed the Sam Bass gang, after robbing the TP train at Eagle Ford, camped briefly at the old dug well in the hickory grove in their flight from the law. In the early 1930s, several parties from Dallas dug around the well, but only found an old iron skillet.
The Hintons occupied the house at the junction and rented out the other. Adjoining them on the west was the Steele/Crump property, then the W. T. Bell tract. Harwood built sheds near the house for a poultry farm of over 300 chickens. He found work in West Dallas with a yard crew at Trinity Portland Cement Company (1911-12), then managed the draft animals at the Texaco Oil & Refining Company farm (1913-15). He rode horseback south across the Trinity bottoms and river to work.
In February 1914, the Hintons moved to Irving, and rented out the Shady Grove property. Harwood had traded 18 acres at Shady Grove and Wildwood to G. A. Nance for a stock of goods (valued at $1,500), and rented a building from T. C. Haley ($14/month) for a grocery store in Irving. The family lived in the DeHaes place near the school and helped in the store. Other local grocers included T. C. Haley, Doug Lucas, Chaney Miller, and Homer Duckworth. In February 1914, Harwood joined others in signing a petition to incorporate the City of Irving. In the spring of 1915, he bought the adjoining lot and building (old post office) for a home.
Life soon changed. Pinkie was diagnosed with tuberculosis and entered the sanatorium near San Angelo. She came home occasionally to visit, but at Christmas 1916, she decided to stay in the house on Shady Grove. Pinkie Hinton died there in July 1917.
In 1918 Hinton received $l,800 for a right-of-way when Dallas County widened Eagle Ford Road (still dirt) to West Dallas. He built a brick store in Irving ($500 for lot; $700 for building) on Main Street (later, the Texas Power & Light office, next to Irving Drug). He and his sons lived in the back of the store. In the summer of 1921, Hinton married Lucy Hart, a childhood friend from Waskom. A year later, she was injured in a train derailment near Grand Saline, Texas, and died in March of 1923.
In the fall of 1924, Hinton left Irving. He constructed a small frame store at the Shady Grove--Eagle Ford junction. He sold his stock of goods in Irving to Frayer & Tillotson, who rented his store. In 1926 he traded the Irving store for 40 wooded acres north of town.
In June of 1926, Hinton married Willie Mae (Abbott) Garner, a widow employed by Bell Telephone in Dallas. She owned a rooming house in Oak Cliff, a 51.33-acre tract (purchased 1925) in the Union Bower settlement, and a small sheep ranch near Corona, New Mexico, inherited from her late husband, Charlie Garner. She met Harwood when a jitney (bus) from Dallas stopped at his country store, and she asked about transportation to her Union Bower property, which included a dairy and two rent houses. The couple married in June 1926, and had one child, Harwood Perry Hinton, Jr., born March 26, 1927, at the home on Shady Grove Road.
Hinton's oldest son, James F. Hinton, attended Irving schools, John Tarleton Junior College, and graduated from the University of Texas (Austin) in 1928 with a degree in electrical engineering. He joined the Bell Telephone Company in New York City, and married Bernice McIntyre. After 33 years with Bell, he retired to Fort Worth and died there in July 1977, without issue. The second son, Tom Ross, played basketball at Irving High, attended the University of Texas briefly, and worked for Texas Power & Light. In 1928 he started the Twin Wells Lumber Company and married Audrey Young. In the mid-1930s, he opened an insurance business at the lumberyard, with Margaret Lively as an assistant. T. R. sold out in 1939, and moved to Keller, Texas, where he ran a dairy, then a sheep ranch. He retired to Fort Worth and died there in December 1986, without issue.
By 1928 the area that Hinton now called Twin Wells came into its own. The term referred to two dug wells, one on the southwest corner at the Shady Grove--Eagle Ford junction and the other on the northeast corner. About this time Dallas County paved Eagle Ford Road by the Hinton store to West Dallas -- and his business prospered. In 1930 he built a three-bedroom home behind the store, and in 1933 attached the old home to the rear of the store. A small commercial icehouse was added to the site. The community now included Cluck's dairy, Pat Parks Auto Garage, Twin Wells Lumber Company, and Landolt's eatery on the northeast corner of the junction. To the south, a small tavern briefly flourished where a dirt road turned west at the Trinity bridge and ran along the river into a series of gravel pits. Twin Wells stretched roughly from Irving Heights Drive on the west, to KIT-Lone Star Road on the north, Wildwood Drive on the east, and the Trinity bottoms on the south.
Hinton actively promoted the Twin Wells community. He published articles in newspapers, invited music groups ("The Light Crust Doughboys") to perform on weekends, and during the depression years sponsored home demonstration classes by the County Agent. With the completion of the Industrial Boulevard from Irving via Kit to Dallas (early 1930s), and regular Bowen bus service, Twin Wells became a bedroom community for families working in Dallas (Green, Bohme, Crump, Widener, etc.). Hinton applied for a branch post office -- but had no luck. By the mid-1930s, Twin Wells drew closer to Irving when the school bus (George Biggs, driver) regularly stopped at the store to pick up kids. Crime lurked in the community. Thieves siphoned gasoline from underground tanks at the Hinton store, robbed the hardware/paint supplies at the lumberyard, and occasionally stole cattle in the neighborhood.
In 1936 the world changed for the Hinton family when Harwood developed chronic asthma. He rented the store to Ralph Bell and divided his home into two apartments. In 1939 he sold the Twin Wells store and home, but kept the orchard lot by the store. The family moved to Mineral Wells, Texas, 1940-41, to Stephenville, Texas, 1941-42, and in the summer of 1942, they settled on Willie Mae's land at Union Bower. They built a two-story house (concrete block) at the northwest corner of Union Bower Road and Wildwood and drilled a water well. A year later they sold the property and constructed a similar structure on the orchard lot at Twin Wells. Hinton briefly ran a small hardware store there. In 1944 he sold his Trinity bottomland. In the spring of 1945, the Hintons had the Union Bower acreage surveyed into tracts, built a house on Loop 12 (then under construction), and opened a road across the property to Wildwood that later became part of Hinton Drive. In 1945 Hinton sold the orchard lot and house at Twin Wells to Howard Wood, former employee of T. R. Hinton. Wood restarted the Twin Wells Lumber Company. At Union Bower, Hinton opened a small convenience store/with gas pump at the northeast corner of Union Bower Road and Loop 12. A Mr. Reynolds ran the business for about two years.
In July of 1951, Harwood suffered a stroke. The family moved to Dallas and built a house on a lot they owned in Oak Cliff. Harwood Hinton died there on May 5, 1956, at the age of 86. In 1968 Willie Mae Hinton sold her remaining Union Bower land and moved to Tucson, Arizona, to live near her son, Harwood, Jr. She died there on July 13, 1976, at the age of 86. Both parents are buried in the family plot at Laurel Land in Dallas.
During the 1950s, the City of Irving annexed the communities in and around Twin Wells and Union Bower. Today (2006) they are part of the eastern section of the city. Twin Wells survives in the name of the Twin Wells Park and Golf Course -- across the road from the old Hinton store site.
--from interviews with my father
Harwood P. Hinton, Jr., Ph. D. Midland, Texas — December 2006
H. P. Hinton, Jr., graduated from Irving High School in May 1944. He attended Texas A & M College briefly (summer/fall 1944), then transferred to North Texas Agricultural (Junior) College (now University of Texas at Arlington). During 1945-47, he drove a taxi (part time) in Irving for Virginia White (White's Auto Supply Store). Hinton graduated from the University of Texas (Austin) in August 1948 with a degree in American history.
In September of 1948, H. P., Jr., began a teaching career that spanned over 40 years. He taught history at Crockett Junior High (old), Odessa, Texas, 1948-50, 1952-56. He started graduate work at UT-Austin, summer 1949, then began a master's program at Columbia University (NYC) in the summer of 1950. In September he was drafted into the U. S. Army, trained to be a stenographer, and spent 10 months (1951-52) as personal secretary (staff sergeant) to the Commanding General, XVI Army Corps, Camp Sendai, Japan. Returning to teaching in Odessa, Hinton completed his master's degree at Columbia in 1955. He then entered the University of Wisconsin (Madison) and earned a Ph. D. in American history in 1960.
Hinton began college teaching at Texas A & M in the fall of 1960. The following year he moved to the University of Arizona (Tucson), where he spent 30 years in classroom teaching and editing the award-winning historical quarterly, Arizona and the West. Hinton became a leading authority on the history of Arizona, directing graduate work at the master's and doctoral levels in Arizona history and on the American Southwest. He retired at Arizona in July 1991.
Back in Austin, Hinton served as one of four senior editors on the 6-volume New Handbook of Texas, published by the Texas State Historical Association in 1996. He also served as president of the West Texas Historical Association and president of Friends of the Sterling C. Evans Library at Texas A & M.
H. P. married Mary Anne Brookshire (1933--1997) on June 16, 1956, in Lufkin, Texas, and had 3 children (John Harwood – deceased Feb. 6, 1994; Mary Brookshire Cox; and James Ross). On May 14, 2005, Hinton married Diana Irene (Davids) Olien, Ph. D., Yale, who currently (2006) holds the Dunagan Chair of Business History at the University of Texas at the Permian Basin, in Odessa. Diana is an authority on the history of the oil/gas industry in Texas, having co-authored 6 books on the subject with her former husband, Roger Olien. H. P. and Diana Hinton live in neighboring Midland, Texas.
Scope and Content
The Hinton Family Papers are arranged in four series and housed in one manuscript box, one half-size manuscript box, the Archives bookcases, space in the Newspaper Cabinet, and Oversize Photo Box #1.
The collection provides insight into life in Irving and the surrounding area during the early part of the twentieth century, shortly after the founding of Irving. Harwood Perry Hinton, Sr., resided in the Irving area from 1910 until 1951. In 1910, he traded a West Texas farm for a tract in what later was the Twin Wells community, on the road from Irving to Dallas. In 1914, Hinton opened a grocery store on Main Street in Irving, and signed the petition requesting a vote to incorporate the town. In 1924, he moved to his land in Twin Wells, built a store at the junction of Shady Grove and Eagle Ford Road and also ran a small farm there until the mid-1930s. Later he moved to the Union Bower community, and briefly operated a convenience store on Union Bower Road. The collection provides information on land transactions in the Twin Wells and Union Bower communities and information on operating a rural store and farm during the early part of the 1900s. It also provides a glimpse into one family’s experiences as the area transitioned from a small town and sparsely settled farmland to a modern suburb.
Series I, Documents, consists of material relating to various aspects of life in the Hinton family. Included in the series are documents relating to H. P. Hinton, Jr.’s, years in the Irving schools; receipts from Hinton’s stores in Irving and later Twin Wells; a photocopy of the petition for a vote to incorporate the town of Irving; WWII gas rationing stamps; and a 1944 letter in which the city of Irving states the cost per home of extending a water line to the Twin Wells community based upon the number of tie-ons. The seven individuals willing to tie on have signed the bottom of the letter.
Series II is made up of real estate records. The series consists primarily of two abstracts: one in the Benjamin Kiefer Survey for the Hinton land in Twin Wells, 1902, and later addenda, and one in the Jessie Moon Survey for Willie Mae Garner’s land in Union Bower, 1890, with addenda to 1925. The Hinton family made their home in both locations at various times. Also in the series is a copy of a lawsuit filed by H. P. Hinton, Sr., against the City and County of Dallas Levee Improvement District, c. 1931. Mr. Hinton complains that the work done re-channeling the Trinity River and the levee work caused his land to become prone to flooding and standing water. Of further interest in the series is the will of Pinkie Elizabeth Hinton and the legal material naming her husband executor of the will and guardian of the children, 1917-1920.
Series III, Photographs, consists of 45 photographs of, among others, Harwood Hinton, Sr., and his sons, the Twin Wells store and the Twin Wells Lumber Company, and the water wells from which Twin Wells took its name. This is an excellent selection of photos for depicting family life and business in the Irving area during the 1910s-1940s.
Series IV consists of published material and ledgers. Of particular interest in this series are two ledgers from the Hinton store. One of the ledgers consists of vendor accounts, store inventory, and daily sales figures for a three-month period in 1927. The other contains a list of personal expenses during 1927. Also of interest in the series is an Irving, Carrollton, Hebron phone book from 1946, and a rural route directory of Dallas County, 1939. There are also a number of issues of the Irving High School newspaper, the Tiger Rag, from the early 1940s in the series.
The material in the Hinton Family Papers was donated to the Irving Archives by Harwood P. Hinton, Jr., in two accessions. Accession number 0102-175 was donated on April 24, 2002, and accession number 0203-07 was donated on October 3, 2002. Prior to its donation to the Irving Archives, the material was in the possession of Harwood Hinton, Jr.
Literary Rights Statement
Permission to publish from the Hinton Family Papers must be obtained from the Irving Archives, Irving Public Library.
Note to Researcher
See also: The Irving Archives Oral History Collection contains a recording of a talk by Harwood P. Hinton, Jr., on tape 98 and a transcription. The tape is a recording of a talk Professor Hinton gave at the Irving Public Library on April 25, 2002, about his family history and his life in Twin Wells and Irving.
Afoot and Alone and Thurber, Texas, are two books edited by Professor Harwood P. Hinton, Jr. that are housed in the Irving Archives. These were gifts from Professor Hinton.
Additional Harwood P. Hinton, Jr., collections can be found at the Haley Library in Midland, Texas, and the Center for American History at the University of Texas at Austin.
Consult with the Archivist for further information on Twin Wells and Union Bower.
Series I. Documents, 1914-1994
1 School Documents, 1934-1944
Contains report cards from Irving’s elementary school; a certificate of promotion to the high school level, 1940; an Irving High School diploma, 1944; an invitation to the commencement exercises for Irving High School, 1944, all for H. P. Hinton, Jr.; a program from the Irving elementary school commencement exercises, 1940; and a program from the Irving High School commencement exercises, 1944.
2 Business Card - Twin Wells Lumber Co., c. 1931
Contains a business card advertising Twin Wells Lumber Co., owned by T. R. Hinton, son of H. R. Hinton, Sr.
3 Business Receipts - H. P. Hinton and Co., 1918-1926
Contains customer receipts from H. P. Hinton’s store in Irving and Twin Wells. The receipts show the customer’s name, the amount owed on the tab, the items purchased, and the new total on the tab.
4 First Baptist Church of Irving Material, 1943 and 1948
Contains a program from the dedication of the education building, 1943; a letter asking H. P. Hinton, Jr., to read at the student night program, 1948; and a program from the student night observance, 1948.
5 Correspondence from City of Irving, 1944
Contains a letter from City Secretary C. C. Anderson stating the cost to property owners of running a city water line down Shady Grove Road to the Twin Wells community. A handwritten postscript lists the cost to each homeowner depending upon the number of homeowners that tie on. This is followed by the signatures of area residents who signed on to be hooked to the new water line.
6 Miscellaneous Documents and Ephemera, 1914-1994
Contains gas ration stamps from WWII; a homemade mother’s day card from H. P. Hinton, Jr., to his mother, c. 1935; a photocopy of a newspaper ad for the H. P. Hinton store and a photocopy of a newspaper article written by H. P. Hinton, Sr., about the attractions of living at Twin Wells from The Irving Herald, October 8, 1931; a photocopy of the “Application and Petition for Incorporation of the Town or Village of Irving, Texas, Feb. 18, 1914.” The file also contains a poll tax exemption card for H. P. Hinton, Sr., 1930; a photocopy of a telephone use card from the Adolphus Hotel, 1923; material relating to the 30th and 50th reunions of the Irving High School class of 1944; and a newspaper article about the history of Eagle Ford, 1949.
Series II. Real Estate Records, 1890-1945
7 Estate material of Pinkie Elizabeth Hinton, 1917-1920
Contains the application to probate Pinkie Elizabeth Hinton’s will; a copy of the will; witness statements; appraisal of her estate; application for guardianship by H. P. Hinton, Sr., for his sons James and Tom; deeds of sale for part of the property holdings; and the guardian’s account of the estate’s condition.
8 Abstract for Property in the Benjamin Kiefer Survey, 1902
Contains an abstract for 63 acres in the Benjamin Kiefer Survey in what was the Twin Wells area, 1902, with addenda in 1903, 1906, 1908, 1915, and 1925.
9 Lawsuit re: Land in Benjamin Kiefer Survey, c. 1931
Contains a lawsuit filed by H. P. Hinton, Sr., in regard to his property being adversely affected by the City and County of Dallas Levee Improvement District.
10 Abstract for Property in the Jessie Moon Survey, 1890
Contains an abstract for 51.33 acres in the Jessie Moon Survey in what was the Union Bower area, 1890, with addenda in 1900, 1913, 1919, 1920, and 1925.
11 Correspondence re: the property in the Jessie Moon Survey, 1925, 1938, and 1945
Contains a summary of the abstract, 1925; a contract of sale to Willie Mae Garner for 51.33 acres in the Jessie Moon Survey, 1925; a release of lien, 1938; and an agreement to sell some acreage to the county for road improvement, 1945.
Series III. Photographs, 1908-1994
12 The Hinton Family Papers contain 45 photos. The notes on the back of the photos were written by Harwood Hinton, Jr. or other family members. Material in brackets, [ ], indicates further additions by Harwood P. Hinton, Jr.:
45-01 H. P. Hinton, Jr., standing by the remains of office of Twin Wells Lumber Co., reopened in 1945 by the new owner, Howard Wood, on a lot north of (and adjoining) the original site. August 1988. Color, 3¼ in. x 3½ in. On back: Last remnant of old Twin Wells Lumber Co. Opened by T. R. Hinton in 1928 [1928-1939]. Later sold to Howard Wood. This building is on lot, which contained peach [pear] orchard when I was a kid. Dad [earlier] built a two-story concrete-block house behind this building (which Howard Wood built in 1945). We lived in blockhouse 1945-1946 [1944-1945].
45-02 Two men standing by Hinton home which was attached directly behind the Hinton store in Twin Wells, c. 1933.
Black-and-white, 2¼ in. x 4½ in. On back: Twin Wells moving house behind store – Dad and T. R., 1933.
45-03 Teenagers sitting on the front of a car, 1944. Black-and-white 2¼ in. x 4½ in. On back: Spring 1944, Irving High School, John Mitchell, George De Shazo, Bobbie Beavers, Harwood Hinton, and Norma [Brooks].
45-04 T. R. Hinton and wife Audrey posing in front of house and car, 1935. Black-and-white, 2½ in. x 3½ in. On back: T. R. and Audrey - renting Rose Bell’s house, Shady Grove Road, 1935.
45-05 Trinity River flooding, c. 1908. Black-and-white, 2½ in. x 3½ in.
On back: Trinity River flooding below Twin Wells.
45-06 Hinton new home, 1931. Black-and-white, 3 in. x 3 in. On back: New home-Twin Wells-on Shady Grove Rd.
45-07 Truck on dirt road, c. 1928. KIT store looking south – Hinton truck on road at junction of Irving Blvd. and dirt road running south by Twin Wells to Eagle Ford and West Dallas. Sign on right says “Lumber cheap, Twin Wells Lumber.” Black-and-white, 2¾ in. x 4½ in. On back: Junction of road to Twin Wells and Irving – Notice arrow pointing to Twin Wells Lumber [Company].
45-08 Water well at Twin Wells, c. early 1930s. Black-and-white, 2¾ in. x 4½ in. On back: Old cistern – Twin Wells – Some say Sam Bass gang camped here.
45-09 Mr. and Mrs. Childress with dairy cows, 1926. Black-and-white, 2¾ in. x 4½ in. On back: Mr. and Mrs. Childress on mother’s farm at Union Bower.
45-10 Twin Wells Store – interior, 1930. Black-and-white, 3 in. x 4½ in. On back: Inside Twin Wells Store, 1930.
45-11 Hinton’s Twin Wells Store – exterior, 1932. Black-and-white, 3 in. x 4½ in. On back: Twin Wells Store.
45-12 Twin Wells Store – interior, 1934. Black-and-white, 3 in. x 4½ in. On back: Twin Wells - New arrangement of store showing meat counter. Notice the meat clerk (Archivist’s note: Harwood Hinton, Jr., is behind the counter).
45-13 Twin Wells Store in the snow. H. P. Hinton, Sr., in front, 1926-27. Black-and-white, 3½ in. x 4½ in. On back: Twin Wells Store, H. P. Hinton, Sr., 1926-27.
45-14 Hinton’s new home on Shady Grove in Twin Wells, 1930. Black-and-white, 4 in. x 5 in. On back: New Twin Wells home, rear, 1930. Mr. English [contractor] on roof.
45-15 Trinity River flood, 1908. Black-and-white, 3¼ in. x 5½ in. On back: Trinity overflow below Pedley estate, 1908.
45-16 H. P. Hinton, Jr., and brother T. R. Hinton (standing) by automobile, 1931. Black-and-white, 4 in. x 4 in. On back: T. R. and H. P., Twin Wells.
45-17 H. P. Hinton, Sr., and son H. P. Hinton, Jr., 1928. Black-and-white, 3¼ in. x 4½ in. On back: H. P. Hinton, Sr., and H. P. Hinton, Jr., Twin Wells, 1928.
45-17A Irving school building, “Old Red,” c. 1940. Black-and-white, 3¼ in. x 4½ in. On back: Old brick elementary school building, Irving, Texas, where [J.F., T.R., and H.P., Jr., went in the 1930s]
45-18 Group of children, front yard new home, c. 1933. Black-and-white, 2¾ in. x 4½ in. On back: H. P., Jr. party at Twin Wells.
45-19 Group of children in pirate costumes, c. 1934. Black-and-white, 2¾ in. x 4½ in. On back: H. P. birthday party, Twin Wells.
45-20 Group of children, c. 1933. Black-and-white, 2¾ in. x 4½ in. On back: H. P. party, . (Archivist’s note: the children are identified on the back of the photo).
45-21 Twin Wells Lumber Co. shed and delivery truck, 1932. Black-and-white, 2¾ in. x 4½ in. On back: Twin Wells Lumber Co., T. R. Hinton, prop.
45-22 Twin Wells Lumber Co. - extension being added to original lumber shed, 1932. Black-and-white, 2¾ in. x 4½ in. On back: T. R.’ s Twin Wells Lumber Co.
45-23 Twin Wells Lumber Co. and delivery trucks, October 1939. Black-and-white, 2½ in. x 3½ in. On back: Twin Wells Lumber Company, Oct. 1939.
45-24 Twin Wells Lumber Co. under construction, 1930. Black-and-white, 2¾ in. x 4½ in. On back: Twin Wells Lumber Co. beginnings. Front of building showing portion of office in front.
45-25 Proof sheet of photos of individual students in Irving School, 1st grade, Mrs. Elise Walker’s class, 1933. Black-and-white, 6½ in. x 5 in.
45-26 Class photo, Irving school, 1st grade, Elise Walker’s class, 1933. Black-and-white, 5 in. x 7 in. On back: First grade, 1933. [Mrs. Walker was let go in the Spring of 1934. Her husband was working and Great Depression was on. The entire class cried].
45-27 Class photo, Irving school, second grade, Mrs. Harkey’s class, 1934. Black-and-white, 5 in. x 7 in. On back: Second grade, Mrs. Harkey, Irving.
45-28 Class photo, Irving school, third grade, Ms. Bernice Smith’s class, 1935. Black-and-white, 5 in. x 7 in. On back: Irving, third grade, Miss Smith, I hold numbers (Archivist’s note: H. P. Hinton, Jr., holds the number sign in the photo that identifies the photograph for the photographer).
45-29 Class photo, Irving school, fifth grade, Mrs. Parker’ s class, 1937. Black-and-white, 5 in. x 7 in. On back: Mrs. Parker, fifth grade (Irving).
45-30 Class photo, Irving school, sixth grade, 1938. Black-and-white, 5 in. x 7 in. On back: sixth grade (Archivist’s note: all of the class members in the photo are identified).
45-31 Elementary school graduation picture, May 1940. Black-and-white, 8 in. x 10 in. On back: Irving Elementary School graduation, May 1940 - H. P. Hinton, Jr., 2nd row, 4th from left.
45-32 Irving High School seniors in caps and gowns at west (main) entrance to Irving High School, May 1944. Black-and-white, 8 in. x 20 in. In Oversize Photo Box #1.
45-33 One of the wells at Twin Wells with H. P. Hinton, Jr., on tricycle in foreground, 1929. Black-and-white, 3½ in. x 3½ in. On back: Twin Wells, one of the 2 old dug wells in the rear.
45-34 Chevrolet pickup, 1940. Black-and-white, 2¾ in. x 4½ in. On back: 1940 Chevy pickup – H.P. Jr., dated a lot of girls in this vehicle – picture 1945 – Union Bower.
45-35 James F. Hinton and Tom R. Hinton in a horse-drawn delivery wagon, c. 1917. Black-and-white, 3½ x 5½. On back: J. F. and T. R. Hinton delivery wagon, Irving, Texas, c. 1917. On front: Floyd – Tom Ross – Monk and Wagon.
45-36 H. P. Hinton, Jr., in pilgrim outfit, 1935. Black-and-white, 4¼ in. x 2½ in. On back: H. P. Hinton, Jr., as a pilgrim in a play at school, Irving, Texas, 1935. Taken at home at Twin Wells.
45-37 Portrait of H. P. Hinton, Jr., 1948. Black-and-white, 2½ in. x 3½ in. On back: H.P. Hinton, Jr. - U.T. – 1948. Photo for placement. (Archivist’s note: This is the photo used in the 1948 University of Texas annual).
45-38 H. P. Hinton, Jr., spraying a car with a hose while William R. Hinton, the owner and cousin of H. P. Sr., looks on, c. 1932. W. R. Hinton was known locally as T-Will. Black-and-white, 2¼ in. x 3¼ in. On back: Backyard of new home. Crump property beyond, garage (delivery truck), Twin Wells, H. P. and T-Will (William R. Hinton cousin).
45-39 Group photo of Irving High School class of 1944 at 30th reunion in 1974. Black-and-white, 5 in x 10 in. On back: 1974 – 30th reunion, Irving High School, Ramada Inn - Highway 183.
45-40 Group photo of Irving High School class of 1944 at 50th reunion in 1994. Color, 4 in. x 6 in. On back: 50th - Remnants of class of 1944, Irving High School. June 1994 - Las Colinas Country Club, Irving, Texas.
H. P. H. standing far right.
45-41 Harwood Hinton, Jr., and wife Anne in front of their home in Austin, Texas, March 1992. Color, 3½ in. x 5 in. On back: Harwood and Anne in front of their new home, March 1992. [4007 Rockledge Dr., Austin, Texas.]
45-42 Members of the Irving High School class of 1944 at their 50th reunion, 1994. Color, 3½ in. x 5 in. On back: Irving High School reunion – 50th class 1944, Las Colinas, Irving, Texas.
45-43 Members of the Irving High School class of 1944 at their 50th reunion, 1994. Color, 3½ in. x 5 in. On back: Irving High School reunion 1994.
45-44 Members of Irving High School class of 1944 at their 30th reunion, 1974. Color, 3½ in. by 3½ in. On back: 1974 – 30th reunion, Irving High School Reunion. Foreground – H. P. Hinton and wife Anne and Bobbie Beavers.
45-45 H. P. Hinton, Jr., Family Portrait, 1988. Color, 5 in. x 4 in. On back: Hinton family – 1988 – Tucson, [AZ] Standing (L to R) son James Ross Hinton, son John Harwood Hinton (deceased Feb. 6, 1994), Harwood P. Hinton. Seated: wife Mary Anne Brookshire Hinton (deceased Nov. 17, 1997), daughter Mary Brookshire Hinton (Cox).
Series IV. Publications and Ledgers, 1927-1964
In an oversize folder in the Newspaper Cabinet:
Irving Elementary School newspaper, The Tiny Tiger, 1940.
Contains an issue of the Irving Elementary School newspaper from January 1940.
Irving High School newspaper, the Tiger Rag, 1943-1945.
Seven issues of the Tiger Rag: Nov. 5, 1943; Nov. 24, 1943; Dec. 17, 1943; Jan. 21, 1944; Feb. 25, 1944; Mar. 31, 1944 (April Fool edition); and Mar. 13, 1945.
Irving Herald, c. 1934
Four pages of the Irving Herald, c. 1934, containing two mentions of the Hinton family.
Daily News Texan, Irving, Texas, April 18, 1964
Special history section of the newspaper commemorating the 50th anniversary of the incorporation of Irving.
1 Directories, 1939 and 1946
Rural Route Directory Out of Dallas County, 1939 and Telephone Directory – Irving, Carrollton, and Hebron,
2 Ledger - Hinton’s Twin Wells Store, 1927 and 1939
A ledger book containing three months of records for vendor accounts and store inventory, as well as records of expenses and sales from Hinton’s farm, 1927. There are also a couple of pages of personal expense entries from 1939 included in the back of the ledger.
3 Ledger, 1929
A ledger book containing personal expenses, 1929, and a list of the Twin Wells Store’s daily cash sales, 1929.
Family Ancestry Books
The New World Book of Hintons and The Hinton Family Heritage Book.
Bookshelf - School Annuals, 1944, 1947, and 1948
The Lair, 1944, the annual of Irving High School.
The Junior Aggie, 1947, the annual of North Texas Agricultural College (now the University of Texas at
The Cactus, 1948, the annual of the University of Texas at Austin.