Guide to the
GILBERT FAMILY COLLECTION
.2 linear ft.
Accession Numbers: 9697-07, 9798-59, 9798-62
Collection Number: 5
Prepared by Kevin Kendro
CITATION: Gilbert Family Collection, Collection 5, Box number, Folder number, Irving Archives,
Irving Public Library.
Dr. Daniel Webster Gilbert, the son of John W. and Sallie Broughton Gilbert, was born January 31, 1854 in Oktibbeha County, Mississippi. At the age of twenty, Daniel Webster Gilbert, known as D.W., moved to the community of Grapevine in Tarrant County, Texas, where he began "reading" medicine under the tutelage of his brother, Dr. Franklin Monroe Gilbert. D.W. Gilbert graduated from the Washington School of Medicine in St. Louis, Missouri, in 1881. After graduation he returned to Grapevine and began his practice of medicine. During his time in Grapevine, he met and married Marietta Boardman in April 1882. Marietta died in 1885, leaving a son, Taylor Clyde Gilbert.
After his wife's death, D.W. Gilbert moved to the Sowers community in Dallas County, Texas, purchased a farm, and set up a medical office on his property. On September 1, 1886, Dr. Gilbert married Fannie Willis Trigg Roberts. Dr. Gilbert moved his medical office to the Sowers business area at the southeast corner of present-day Pioneer Road and Belt Line Road.
D.W. Gilbert built a large two-story home on his farm, which is the present site of the Plymouth Park Shopping Center. The farm was approximately 1,500 acres and ran as far north as present-day Country Club Drive. On this land Dr. Gilbert grew cotton, had a peach orchard, raised cattle, and established the Gilbert Brothers' Dairy. D.W. and Fannie Gilbert had eleven children, the last two being twins who died in infancy.
Shortly after the founding of the City of Irving in 1903, Dr. Gilbert relocated his medical office to the city, thus becoming Irving's first physician. Dr. Gilbert's practice was made up of citizens from many of the surrounding communities.
In addition to being Irving's first doctor, Dr. Gilbert was also a founder and first president of the Irving State Bank, which was established in 1907. He was president and on the board of directors until his death on September 16, 1930.
Gilbert Family Collection, Collection 5, Irving Archives, Irving Public Library.
Dr. Franklin Monroe Gilbert, son of Dr. D.W. Gilbert and Fannie Gilbert, was born June 22, 1887 in the community of Sowers, Dallas County, Texas. He attended the Sowers Elementary School and Grand Prairie High School. He then attended North Texas State Normal School (now the University of North Texas) and graduated with a permanent teaching certificate on May 26, 1908. Franklin Monroe Gilbert, known as F.M., taught for two years at the Shady Grove School and spent one year as principal of Grand Prairie High School. Following that, he spent two years as an English teacher at McKinney High School.
In 1913 he began his premedical studies at The University of Texas in Austin. He also spent a year each in premedical studies at The University of Michigan and San Marcos College. In 1915, he entered The University of Texas Medical School at Galveston and graduated in 1919. Following graduation he served a one-year internship at City Hospital of New York. There he met Dorothy Brandon, whom he married. The couple moved to Irving during the fall of 1920.
Franklin Monroe (F.M.) Gilbert practiced medicine with his father, Dr. D.W. Gilbert, until 1930, when D.W. died. In addition to his medical practice, F.M. Gilbert served on the Board of Trustees for the Irving Independent School District from 1921-1931. In 1932, Dr. F.M. Gilbert was appointed mayor of Irving upon the death of the incumbent mayor, Dr. John Haley. Dr. Gilbert finished the term and served two full terms as mayor from 1933-1937. In 1949, he established The Gilbert and Robert’s Clinic, Irving's first medical clinic. Dr. F.M. Gilbert worked as a physician for fifty-nine years, retiring in 1979 at the age of ninety-two. Dr. Franklin Monroe Gilbert died on September 26, 1982 at the age of ninety-five.
Gilbert Family Collection, Collection 5, Irving Archives, Irving, Texas.
Dorothy Grace Bald Brandon Gilbert, daughter of Lillian Mallette Bald and Louis F. Bald, was born on October 4, 1901, in Jersey City, New Jersey. On November 10, 1908, Louis Bald died, leaving Lillian with three children, Ray, Dorothy, and Lewis. Four years after the death of her husband, Lillian Mallette Bald met and married Ernest Brandon. Dorothy Grace Bald and her younger brother were adopted by their stepfather and took his last name.
Dorothy Brandon graduated from Girls High School in Brooklyn, New York, in May 1918. In September of the same year, she entered nursing school at City Hospital of New York. There she met Dr. F.M. Gilbert, who was an intern at the hospital. The couple were married on November 17, 1920, and moved to her husband's hometown, Irving, Texas, in 1920.
As a nurse, Mrs. Gilbert assisted her husband and his father, Dr. D.W. Gilbert, in their medical practice, often with obstetrical cases. Dorothy Gilbert was a charter member of the Irving Garden Club, the Garden and Arts Club, the Twentieth Century Book Review Club, and the Irving Heritage Society.
She died on January 2, 1990, at the age of eighty-eight in Irving, Texas.
Gilbert Family Collection, Collection 5, Irving Archives, Irving, Texas.
Scope and Content Note
The Gilbert Family Collection is contained in one half-size manuscript box. The collection is comprised of one series consisting of five folders. The bulk of the material in the collection is biographical and concerns the lives of Daniel Webster Gilbert, M.D., 1854-1930; his son Dr. Franklin Monroe Gilbert, 1887-1982; and Dr. F.M. Gilbert’s wife Dorothy Grace Bald Brandon Gilbert, 1901-1990.
Files one through three contain biographies of Dr. D.W. Gilbert, Dr. F.M. Gilbert, and Dorothy Gilbert written by Dr. Clay Gilbert, son of Dr. F.M. and Dorothy Gilbert. The biographies are photocopies of the originals. Also included in the collection are copies of newspaper articles about the two doctors and letters of testimony from patients of D.W. Gilbert requested by his grandson, Clay, when he was conducting an effort to have a historical marker dedicated to his grandfather.
Folder four is made up of copies of the program from the dedication of Dr. D.W. Gilbert’s historical marker, which took place at the Sowers Cemetery, and a guest book from the occasion. Also included are photographs of the event.
Folder five consists of photos, a program, and newspaper articles relating to the dedication of the Franklin Monroe Gilbert Elementary School. Also included is the address given by Dr. Clay Gilbert at the dedication.
The dates shown on folders one through three are the birth and death dates of the individual named in the folder title. These dates are not a reflection of the dates of the material within the folders. Most of the materials are relatively recent photocopies of older material.
The Gilbert Family Collection was donated to the Irving Archives by Dr. Clay Gilbert. Prior to its donation to the Irving Archives, the material was in Dr. Gilbert’s possession. Most of the materials are photocopies of original documents.
The photographs of the dedication of the historical marker were taken by Jan Hart and donated to the Archives.
Literary Rights Statement
Permission to publish from the Gilbert Family Collection must be obtained from the Irving Archives.
Series I. Biographical Material, 1854-1998
1 Dr. Daniel Webster Gilbert, 1854-1930
Contains a biography of D.W. Gilbert written by his grandson, Dr. Clay Gilbert, in 1994; a copy of a page from Memorial and Biographical History of Dallas County, Texas, 1892, in which the life of D.W. Gilbert is summarized to that date; a resolution in Dr. Gilbert's honor given by the Irving State Bank upon his death; and a 1930 letter of condolence from a cousin of Dr. Gilbert's wife. Also includes a speech delivered in 1963 at the open house held at the Gilbert Medical and Surgical clinic; a copy of a summary of Dr. D. W. Gilbert's life written by his son, Dr. F.M. Gilbert; a copy of the births and deaths pages from the Gilbert family bible; a copy of a Gilbert Brothers' Dairy company stock certificate; a copy of a newspaper obituary for Dr. D.W. Gilbert; and copies of testimonial letters written by patients and the children of patients of Dr. Gilbert.
2 Dr. Franklin Monroe Gilbert, 1887-1982
Contains a biography of Dr. F.M. Gilbert written by his son, Dr. Clay Gilbert; a copy of the career highlights of Dr. F.M. Gilbert in his own hand; a brief summary of Dr. F.M. Gilbert's life; a copy of the births and deaths pages of the family bible; an original stock certificate for Gilbert Brothers Dairy Company, 1931; and copies of several newspaper articles pertaining to Dr. F.M. Gilbert. Also includes a copy of a speech delivered at the 1963 open house for the Gilbert Medical and Surgical Clinic; a proclamation from the mayor upon F. M. Gilbert's retirement; copies of several testimonial letters praising Dr. Gilbert; and newspaper articles concerning the Irving Independent School District elementary school named in his honor.
3 Dorothy Brandon Gilbert, 1901-1992
Contains a biography of Dorothy Brandon Gilbert written by her son, Dr. Clay Gilbert, in 1994.
4 Dr. D.W. Gilbert's Historical Marker, 1997
Contains copies of the dedication program, the guest book, a newspaper article, and photographs from the dedication ceremony of the D.W. Gilbert state historical grave marker.
5 School Dedication, 1998
Contains a copy of the program from the dedication of the school in honor of F.M. Gilbert; photos of the occasion; the speech delivered by Dr. Clay Gilbert at the dedication; and newspaper articles relating to the ceremony and the school.