Abstracts for Processed Collections

return to Accessions main page

Collection 61: Rogers and Barbara Revier Collection, 1943-1980

Abstract: The collection, consisting primarily of Irving school-related material, reflects the life of a young person in Irving during the 1940s and 1950s. This is a period of time when Irving was still a small farming town, but was beginning to transform into a rapidly growing suburb of Dallas. Irving High School class of 1951 material, general school material, Irving State Bank items, personal real estate documents, newspaper clippings and publications, artifacts. 

Donor: Rogers and Barbara Revier                  
Size: 1 ft. (3 boxes, map collection, and space in the yearbook bookcase)

Collection 62: Roy Ricker Collection, 1870-1966

Abstract: Roy Ricker attended Irving schools during the 1920s. He married Hilda Klingbeil and worked as a groundskeeper at Cedar Crest Golf Club prior to joining the military during WWII. After the war he was a homebuilder in the Irving area. In 1966, he went to work for the Irving Independent School District as the building trades instructor. He retired in 1978. Irving High School letter sweaters, 1928 and 1929, photos of Irving High School football and basketball teams, class photos, and pep squad, 1925-1930, directory, 1938, plaque 1966.

Donor: Roy Ricker                      Size: 8 inches (2 boxes)    

Collection 63: Britain Family Collection, 1890-1992

Abstract: The Britain family came to northwest Dallas County in 1859. They settled in an area that would later become the easten part of the city of Irving. Henry W. Britain sold the original 80 acres of land to town founders Schulze and Brown on which they established the town of Irving in 1903. His son Lee Britain served on the Irving Independent School District Board of Trustees for two decades. Family photos, 1890-1970s, newspaper clippings, Irving High School letter sweaters, 1930 and 1932, Britain and Murphy family genealogical material.

Donor: Juanita Britain                  Size: 1 ft. (3 boxes)     

Collection 64: Central Elementary School P.T.A. Scrapbooks, 1936-1965

Abstract: The Irving Schools P.T.A., that included all grade levels, was formed for the 1930-31 school year. In 1937-38, a separate High School P.T.A. was formed. As the school district grew, so did the number of elementary schools and in 1950-51 individual P.T.A.s were formed for each of them. Central Elementary P.T.A. was one of these. In 1965, Central Elementary was renamed Lee Britain Elementary. Central Elementary P.T.A. ceased to exist and the Lee Britain Elementary P.T.A. took its place. Scrapbooks, four volumes, 1936-1950; 1950-1959; 1959-1962; 1962-1965.

Donor: Lee Britain Elementary P.T.A.               Size: 1 ft. (1 box)  

Collection 65:  Juanita Davis Brooks Collection, 1949-1960s

Abstract: Juanita Davis Brooks was raised in Irving and attended Irving schools, 1930s-1951. The collection consists of Irving-related items and four digital images. Irving High School drill team uniform and spirit shirt, 1950; Irving Bank & Trust cash bag, late-1960s; Irving Theater and 183 Drive-in movie schedule, 1954; school binder, 1951; Irving telephone directories, c. 1949 and 1957; and four digital images, 1930-1951. 

Donor: Juanita Davis Brooks                              Size: .5 ft. (2 boxes)   

Collection 66:  Edgar Brown Estelle Community Collection, 1908-2007

Abstract:  Edgar Brown was raised in the Estelle community and attended the Estelle School during the 1920s and 1930s.   The Estelle community evolved from farms scattered on Henry Burgoon's 1853 land grant. The community was located in what today is western Irving. Much of the old community land is now part of DFW Airport property.  The collection consists of material created and collected by Edgar Brown to document the history of the community. Hand-drawn maps; correspondence; photographs.

Donor: Edgar Brown                                          Size: 3 inches (½-manuscript box)      

Collection 67:  Irving Symphony Orchestra Collection, 1962-2001

Abstract:  The Irving Symphony Orchestra was established in 1962 with local, volunteer musicians. As the symphony matured it began employing professional musicians. In its early days, the orchestra performanced in the local high school auditorium. Today its home is the Carpenter Performance Hall in the Irving Arts Center. The collection consists primarily of scrapbooks, 1960s-1990s.

Donor: Irving Symphony League                        Size: 4.5 linear ft. (8 boxes)     

Collection 68:  Brown Family Collection, 1893-1982

Abstract:  Otis Brown was the co-founder and first mayor of Irving, Texas.  Lynn Brown was his youngest son and was mayor of Irving from 1959-1967. The collection is made up of material relating to Otis and Netta Brown's and Kay and Lynn Brown's lives in Irving political and social life.  Correspondence, real estate records, personal documents, photographs, newspaper clippings, artifacts.

Donor: Kay Brown                                              Size: 8 inches (2 boxes) 

Collection 69:  Doris Hamilton Caster Collection, 1880s-1980s

Abstract:  The Caster family were pioneers in northwest Dallas County.  Edmond Caster married Cora Haley, who was also a member of a local pioneer family. Personal papers, photographs, newspaper clippings relating to members of the Haley and Caster families and other early area residents, small medical instruments used by Dr. John Haley, c. 1910. John Haley was one of the first doctor's in the area.

Donor: Doris Hamilton Caster                             Size: 10 inches (2 boxes)     

Colletion 70:  Irving Bank & Trust Co. Photo Collection, 1946-1972

Abstract:  Irving Bank & Trust bagan as Merchants and Planters Bank in 1906.  It was chartered in 1908 as Irving State Bank and became Irving Bank & Trust Co. in 1962.  The photos in this collection are of bank employees, bank events, and the bank's buildings, 1950s-1970s.  Also included are newspaper clippings and advertisements relating to the bank, 1950s-1970s.

Donor: Lee Wilcox                                             Size: 5 inches          

Collection 71: Marge Parrish Irving Heritage Society Collection, 1964-1991 (bulk 1985-1987)

Abstract: Marge Parrish was a founding member of the Irving Heritage Society, 1978.  She served as president of the group, 1985-1987. During her terms as president, the organization took part in the creation of Heritage Park and the placing of a railroad depot and Caster Cabin in the park. The Heritage Society also sponsored the writing of an Irving history book, Irving a Texas Odyssey, while Mrs. Parrish was president of the organization.  Her husband Morris served on the Irving city council, 1991-1994 and was Irving's mayor, 1995-1999. Heritage Society correspondence, 1985-1987; material related to the renovation of the Brown/Parrish house; material related to the development of Heritage Park; newspaper clippings; photographs.

Donor: Marge and Morris Parrish                          Size: 8 inches 

Collection 72: Clara Gibbs' Irving Heritage Society Papers, 1978-1997

Abstract: Clara Gibbs moved to Irving with her husband Chet in 1936. She taught at Irving High School and worked with her husband in his Real Estate business.  In 1978, Mrs. Gibbs became a charter member of the Irving Heritage Society.  The Irving Heritage Society is concerned with operating the Heritage House, a early 20th century house museum, and other local history undertakings.  Lists of volunteer docents for the Heritage House and docent scripts, 1978; invitations; local committee of the U.S. Bicentennial Commission material, 1974-76; Heritage Society newsletters 1979-1997; newspaper clippings, bulk 1975.

Donor: Estate of Clara Gibbs                                Size: 2.5 inches     

 Collection 73: Irving Heritage Society Collection, 1975-2011 (bulk 1978-1991)

Abstract: The Irving Heritage Society was founded in 1978 with the primary task of caring for the Heritage House.  The house was owned by one of the town's founding families and was donated to the city of Irving as a Bicentennial gift by the family heirs. Through the years the Irving Heritage Society has been involved with local historic preservation programs; marking historical sites; and other local history projects. Meeting minutes and agenda; treasures reports; correspondence; newsletters; project files; event files; photographs; artifacts; scrapbooks; newspaper clippings.

Donor: Irving Heritage Society                               Size: 12 ft. (16 boxes) 

 Collection 74: Wood Family Collection, 1880-1970s (bulk 1910-1960)

Abstract: This collection is comprised of a wide variety of documents and artifacts related to the lives of three northwest Dallas County pioneer and longtime Irving area families: Barton, Tompkins, and Wood who came to the area between the 1850s and 1870s.  The materials date from the 1880s to the 1970s.  The individuals that are the primary focus of the collection are: Irene (Barton) Wood and Erlin Wood, Chestermae (Tompkins) Wood and Howard Wood and their son Leslie. Photos; documents; scrapbooks; and small artifacts that provide a glimpse into, not only the lives of these families, but into school events; social gatherings; military life; and business life of area residents during, primarily, the first half of the 20th Century.

Donor: Patti Wood Finkel                                      Size: 5 in. (1 flat box) 

 Collection 76: Junior Irving Book Review Club Records (1953-2013)

Abstract:  The Junior Book Review Club was founded in 1953 as the Irving Public Library Junior Book Review Club. It was open to women up to 30 years of age.  It is no longer sponsored by the library and the age restriction has been removed.  The goup meets once a month to listen to a presenter review a book.  Minutes, scrapbooks, financial records, yearbooks.

Donor: Junior Book Review Club                              Size: 1 ft. 2 in. (4 boxes)   

 Collection 77: Carolyn Jeter Kelly Collection, 1944-1971 (bulk 1948-1967)

Abstract: Carolyn Jeter was born in Irving in 1934 and attended and taught in Irving schools.  The collection is made up of material relating to a students life in Irving during the 1940s and a young adults life in Irving, 1950s-1960s. Photographs; documents; and artifacts.

Donor: Carolyn Jeter Kelly                                      Size: 1 ft. (3 boxes)   

 1-20 | 21-40 | 41-60 | 61-80