Abstracts for Processed Collections

return to Accessions main page

Collection 41 - Arthur and Sissy Casey Collection, 1920s-1970s

Abstract: Arthur Casey and Lucille "Sissy" Dorety Casey were longtime teachers and administrators in the Irving public school system. Irving High School drill team, "Toy Tigers," scrapbooks, uniforms, and photographs; school class photos; family material, WWII military uniform, high school letter sweater.

Donor: Arthur and Sissy Casey                              Size: 1.5 ft. (6 boxes)
Collection 42 - Caldwell Family Collection, 1910s-2001

Abstract: C. P. Caldwell came to Irving in 1921 and opened an insurance agency. He married Pauline Arnold that same year. Caldwell was elected to three terms as mayor of Irving during the late 1930s and early 1940s. Caldwell died suddenly in 1942. Pauline Caldwell ran the insurance agency until she retired in the mid-1970s. Family doucments, photographs.

Donor: Nancy Caldwell Tracy                               Size 1.25 inches (1 box) 
Collection 43 - Roberts Family Collection, 1900-1990s

Abstract: The Dr. John Roberts and Etta Williams Roberts family dates to Irving's earliest days. Roberts was one of the area's early day physicans. John Roberts died in 1915 at the age of 35. Etta was left to run a boarding house and raise the couple's three sons. Their second son, Joe, became a prominant doctor in Irving. Newspaper clippings, photographs.

Donor: Jill Roberts McClung                    Size: 1.25 inches (1 box) 
Collection 44 - Haley/Littlepage Family Collection, 1880s-1980s

Abstract: The Haley and Littlepage families were pioneers to Dallas County arriving during the 1850s and 1870s respectively. A third pioneer family associated with the collection is the Joffre family . The Joffres arrived in Dallas County in 1872. All three families have long histories in Irving and Dallas County. The collection pertains primarily to Lee Littlepage and his wife Bertha Joffre Littlepage. It also provides information on the Tom Haley farm, which was located in today's northwest Irving and owned by the Haley family from the 1850s until the 1960s. Real estate documents, family estate records, tax records, banking records, personal correspondence, newspaper clippings, Victorian era business cards, pamphlets and directories, ledger books, high school memory book from 1915, and artifacts.

Donor: Jean Haley Wilson         Size: 2 ft. (2 boxes and flat items)  
Collection 45 - Hinton Family Papers, 1890-1994

Abstract: The Hinton family came to the Irving area in 1910. They operated a general store in Irving and later in the Twin Wells community. The collection provides insight into life in Irving and the surrounding area during the early part of the twenteith century. Business records, Irving schools material, correspondence, newspaper clippings, real estate records, photographs.

Donor: H. P. Hinton, Jr.      Size: 7 inches (2 boxes and oversize items) 
Collection 46 - Looper Family Collection, 1890s-1970s

Abstract: Lorene Lucas was born in Irving in 1909. Her father owned a business on Main St. from 1904-1931. In 1936, she married Arthur Looper, another early Irvingite. Lorene kept detailed scrapbooks documeting her life growing up in Irving during the late 1910s to the early 1930s. She continued to keep scrapbooks for her entire life. Scrapbooks, newspapers, school documents, photographs, publications, artifacts.

Donor:  Larry and Joel Looper            Size: 3 ft. (10 boxes) 
Collection 47 - The Jim Johnson City of Irving Police and Court Building Construction File, 1963-1965

Abstract: Material compiled by Irving Police Department Assistant Police Chief Jim Johnson on the design and construction of the Irving Police and Courts Building, 1963-1965.

Donor: Jim Johnson                      Size 2.5 inches (1 box) 
Collection 48 - The Phillip Reid Collection, 1954-1976

Abstract: Phillip Reid was president of Irving Bank & Trust from 1954 until he retired in 1975. The collection provides information on Irving Bank & Trust Co., which was Irving's first bank and only bank for 5 decades. It also provides information on three of its long-time officers, Phillip Reid, John Brandenburg, and R. N. Pittman. Scrapbooks, city directory, map, plaque.

Donor: Alice Reid Chambers              Size: .5 ft. (1 box) 
Collection 49 - The Mike Howard Papers, 1977-1998

Abstract: Mike Howard was a long-time administrator with the Dallas County Community College District, 1970s-1990s. He also served two terms on the Irving city council, 1981-1985. Howard also produced a newsletter and a newspaper opinion column critiquing local politics, 1970s-1990s. He self-published a book relating to the Texas Sesquicentennial. Local election campaign mailers, city council material, Chamber of Commerce material, North Lake College material, Rotary Club material, newsletters, news columns, book production files, photographs, artifacts. 

Donor: Mike Howard                  Size: 3.5 ft. (7 boxes and oversize items) 
Collection 50 - Haley/Miller Family Collection, 1870s-1990s

Abstract: The Haley family came to northwest Dallas County during the 1850s. Chaney Miller moved to Irving in 1904. Miller's granddaughter married Frank Haley. The collection contains material relating to the Haley and Miller families. Chaney Miller operated Irving State Bank and a general store on Main St. He served three terms as Irving's mayor during the late 1910s and mid-1920s. Miller was also justice of the peace from 1929-1940. Material relating to the families' histories, land records, photographs.

Donor: Sue Haley Huffman                Size: .2 ft. (1 box) 
Collection 51 - Irving Independent School District Council of P.T.A.s Records, 1954-2003

Abstract: The Irving Independenc School District Council of P.T.A.s, originally the Irving City Council of P.T.A.s, was established in 1954. The council coordinates the activities of the individual school P.T.A.s. Scrapbooks; minutes; yearbooks; and artifacts.

Donor: Irving Independent School District Council of P.T.A.s     
Size: 8 ft. (10 boxes and oversize items) 
Collection 52 - Union Bower School P.T.A. Scrapbooks, 1949-1963

Abstract: Union Bower was an unincorporated community located east of Irving, Texas. The community established a school in 1891. For many years it was funded by members of the community. Later it became part of the Dallas County Common School District. The Union Bower School P.T.A was organized in 1936. The school was taken in by the Irving Independent School District in 1963. Scrapbooks.

Donor: Irving Independent School District Council of P.T.A.s  
Size: 1 ft. (1 box) 

Collection 53 - Sam Akins Collection, 1965-2000

Abstract: Sam Akins was the manager of the Irving branch of Dallas Federal Savings and Loan when it opened in 1966. He was also on the local Bicentennial committee, which planned events in Irving in celebration of the U. S. Bicentennial, 1976. Newspaper clippings, photographs, and correspondence related to the construction and grand opening of the Irving branch of Dallas Federal Savings and Loan. Photographs, planning documents, newspaper clippings related to the activities of the local Bicentennial committee. Newspaper issues relating to the assassination of President John F. Kennedy.

Donor: Sam Akins       Size: 2 ft. (2 boxes)    

Collection 54 - Earlie Mae Wheeler Collection, 1949-1986

Abstract: Earlie Mae Wheeler was a long-time teacher at Trinity Farms, a large corporate farm adjacent to Irving, and in the African-American community of Bear Creek. Photographs, correspondence, brief biography, oral history tapes.

Donor: Catie Morgan      Size: 3 inches (1 box)    

Collection 55 - John Morris Collection, Irving Teacher Walkout Material, 1951-1960

Abstract: In early 1955, the Irving School Board fired the school superintendent, when the board refused to give their reasons for the firing, most of the teachers and other school district employees walked off the job in support of the superintendent. The walkout created a bitter rift in the community. Newspaper clippings, school board campaign material.

Donor: John Morris           Size: 3 inches (1 box and space in the Newspaper Cabinet)   

Collection 56 - Martha Jo Lucas Watson Collection, 1936-1986

Abstract: Matha Lucas Watson, a native Irvingite, attended Irving schools during the 1930s and 1940s. School activity scrapbook, Irving High School newspapers, programs, invitations, school annuals, garden club material.

Donor: Martha Watson        Size: 1 ft. (2 boxes and space in the bookcase)   

Collection 57 - United Community Candidates Collection, 1957

Abstract: The United Community Candidates was a slate of mayoral and city council candidates selected by a group of local businessmen to run in the Irving municipal election of 1957. Advertisements, newspaper articles, campaign cards, meeting minutes, election returns.

Donor: Robert Nelson     Size: 3 inches (1 box and space in the Newspaper Cabinet)  

Collection 58 - Irving Grandmothers Club #706 Records, 1964-1989

Abstract: The Irving Grandmothers Club was established in 1964 and was given charter number 706 by the National Federation of Grandmothers Clubs of America. Meeting minutes, yearbooks, membership applications, correspondence.

Donor: Catie Morgan     Size: 6 inches (1 box)  

Collection 59 - Eleanor Corry Bell Collection, 1900-2006

Abstract: Eleanor Corry Bell moved with her family to Irving in 1940. She attended Irving schools during the 1940s and early-1950s. Her mother, Augusta Corry, was employeed at Irving State Bank (Irving Bank & Trust) from the 1940s-1970s. Eleanor married Joe Bell and the two raised a family in Irving. Irving schools related material, 1940s to the early-1950s and 1970s-1980s; family photos, Irving State Bank artifacts, Irving Women's Bowling Association records and artifacts, publications relating to major events of the second half of the twentieth century.

Donor: Eleanor Corry Bell     Size: 4 ft. (11 boxes)    

Collection 60 - Beavers Family Collection, 1879-1998 (bulk 1940-1968)

Abstract: Jerry Justus Beavers and Bob Beavers attended the Irving schools during the 1930s and 1940s. Both graduated from Irving High School. They were married in 1949. Their children attended the Irving schools and also graduated from Irving High School during the 1960s and 1970s. Irving High School related material, 1940s and 1960s-1970s, family photos and digital images, 1900-1970s; First Methodist Church related material, 1950s-1980s.

Donor: Jerry Beavers     Size: 2 ft. (3 boxes and space in the Flat File Cabinet)

1-20 | 21-40 | 41-60 | 61-80