The Twin Wells community, in what is today's southeastern Irving, grew up during the late 1800s. The area was named for two early-day water wells that stood on opposite sides of the Eagle Ford Trail. Settlers traveling west out of Dallas on the Eagle Ford Trial, which ran along the bank of the Trinity River, crossed the West Fork of the river and continued along the trail into what is now the Irving area. The two wells provided welcome relief to weary travelers.
Residents farmed, kept dairy herds, and raised poultry. Attempts to get a post office for the area failed for lack of population. Later businesses included a lumber yard, a general store, and an automobile garage. The Twin Wells area population peaked at about 150 in 1940. Children in the Twin Wells area attended the Irving schools. Right-of-way acquisition for a highway during the mid-1940s split the community in two. In 1951, the city of Irving annexed the area. Today the community name lingers on in the name of a nearby park and golf course.