The Sowers community, named after Edmund D. Sowers, was located in the northwest part of Dallas County about 12 miles west of the city of Dallas. Today the area is in the center of the city of Irving. Sowers came to the area from Illinois in 1856. By 1876, he owned almost 1,000 acres of land in the area. Other early settler families in the thinly populated area were the Haleys and Casters.
As additional families moved into the area, Edmund Sowers donated land for a community cemetery. He opened a general store during the 1870s, and in 1881, applied for a mail route and opened a post office in his store. Community residents built a school for the area children during the 1880s. With the Sowers community providing a post office, blacksmith shop, general store, drug store, and doctor's services, it became the largest unincorporated community between the forks during the second half of the nineteenth century. Early settlers farmed and cut and sold cord wood. Later several dairy farms would successfully operate in the area.
Despite the growth of nearby Irving, which was founded in 1903, the Sowers community, with its strong foundations in the dairy and poultry businesses, survived until the 1950s. The Irving Independent School District took in the Sowers School in 1955. The City of Irving annexed the areas making up the Sowers community in 1954 and 1956. Today, the early businesses and homes are gone. Only the cemetery remains as the link to the old community.