return to Communities main page
The Estelle community was located on what is now largely DFW Airport property along the Dallas-Tarrant County line in what today is western Irving. The community evolved during the second half of the nineteenth century from scattered farms on the Grapevine Prairie. Henry Burgoon received a land grant from the state of Texas and came to the area in 1853. Early Estelle area farmers raised wheat, corn, and cotton. Through the years, Estelle grew to be a shipping point for area crops because it was on a stage route between Grapevine and Dallas. At its height, the community had a steam cotton gin, two churches, a blacksmith shop, a school, and a general store. The Bear Creek Baptist Church, one of the oldest churches in Dallas County, was founded in the Estelle area in 1853 and operates today in Irving as First Baptist Church-Las Colinas.
Bryant and Ryan Harrington came to the Estelle area shortly after the Civil War. The brothers amassed large land holdings on which they raised cattle and farmed. In 1883, the Harringtons donated land for a community school and Masonic lodge. Area residents built a two-story frame building on the land. The first floor was used as a school and the second as the Estelle Masonic Lodge. In 1916, the community built a two-story brick schoolhouse on the same piece of land. During the 1920s, the school began offering only grades 1-7. High school students attended Irving High School, which was about seven miles to the southeast.
In 1881, the community received a post office to serve the population of about 600 from the area farms. The post office remained in service until 1904.
Some other families that helped build the community were McCormick, Lucas, Good, Arthur, and Borah. The Borahs had large land holdings in the community on which they farmed and later established a large dairy farm. The family worked the land until it was sold to become part of DFW Airport during the 1960s.
By the 1940s, the population of Estelle had begun to dwindle. The Sowers Common School District took in the Estelle school in 1948, and the Irving Independent School District annexed the Sowers school district in 1955. The Estelle Masonic Lodge moved to the city of Euless in 1958. The city of Irving annexed the Estelle area in 1968.