The Elm community constructed its first school in the early 1880s. Five local men each contributed $25 for materials to build the school. The school provided grades 1-7. After 1909, and the establishment of the Irving Independent School District, the Elm community students could attend high school in Irving. A new Elm School building was built in 1934. The photo above is of the Elm School student body during the 1935-36 school year posing in front of the new building.
click on pictures for larger images
The Elm School operated from the 1880s until 1948, when it became a part of the Irving Independent School District. At left is a photo of the school student body in 1906. On the right is a photo of the school and its surroundings, c. 1930s-40s.