Bear Creek Community Churches

return to Bear Creek Main Page | return to Community Main Page

Shady Grove C.M.E.

During the days of reconstruction and Jim Crow laws, churches played and important role in helping the people of  the Bear Creek area maintain a community spirit and identity. The Shady Grove C.M.E. Church was founded in the Bear Creek community in 1884. The congregation moved to a larger building in 1897. The church is still active today. This photo is a picture of the second church building as it appeared in 1925.

               
Shady Grove CME church group Church group, 1961 
click on pictures for larger images

In the photo on the left are members of a Shady Grove C.M.E. church group, c. 1945. Another church group gathers in the picture on the right, 1961.


                                                        
 Ben Washington Baptist Church, 1967 Shady Grove CME, 1989
click on pictures for larger images

In the photo on the left members of the Ben Washington Baptist Church lay the cornerstone for a new building, 1967. The Ben Washington Baptist Church was founded in 1941. In the photo on the right members of the Shady Grove
C.M.E. Church pose for a photo in 1989.