Residential Building Permits–What Requires a Permit?
Building permits are required to: erect, enlarge, alter, move, demolish, or repair a structure in the City of Irving. This includes (but not limited to):
- Pools, spas, hot tubs
- Portable buildings/sheds greater than 6 feet in any dimension
- Adding/altering a garage or carport
- Alteration to the driveway approach at the city street
- Garage conversions
- Decks over 30 inches in height
- Retaining walls over 30 inches in height (from adjacent grade to top of wall)
- Fireplace installations
- New wiring, plumbing, or HVAC (heating, ventilation, and air conditioning) work
- House remodel/addition
- Water Heater (plumbing permit required)
Permits are not required for cosmetic work such as painting, carpeting, and cabinetry, nor is it required for replacing fixtures or appliances (except water heaters) at existing connections.