To schedule free fire safety education classes for any group, business, or organization located in Irving, complete the online Community Outreach Group Presentation Request form. Please give us at least one months advance notice in scheduling a class or presentation.
This week's Safety Topic:
The Irving Fire Department wants everyone to be safe from injuries this winter as it gets colder and we begin to get ice and snow.
Be careful when stepping outside your home and consider the following tips to eliminate or minimize the hazards of SLIPS and/or FALLS when there is ice or snow:
- Wear shoes or boots that provide traction on snow and ice. Avoid high heels and shoes without treads.
- Use walkways that have been shoveled and sanded or salted, if possible.
- Keep both hands free for balance, rather than in your pockets.
- Use handrails from start to finish, where available.
- Avoid carrying loads on stairs; or carry loads that you can see over.
- Look ahead when you walk.
- Test potentially slick areas by tapping your foot on them.
- Use special care when entering and exiting vehicles; use the vehicle for support.
- When entering buildings use mats to remove moisture from footwear to prevent creating wet, slippery conditions indoors.
View Previous Weekly Safety Topics
Helpful Fire Safety Information: