View all facilities

Bird's Fort Trail Park

Image Unavailable
Documents

Bird's Fort Trail Park Map (PDF)

Features

  1. 57.99 Acres
  2. Campión Trails Dedication Marker
  3. Campión Trails Gateway Monument
  4. Concrete Unlighted Surface Trail
  5. Eight Tables
  6. Lake or Stream
  7. Large Pavilion
  8. Parking
  9. Picnic Areas
  10. Portable Restroom
  11. River Overlook
  12. Shelter or Building
  13. Trails
  14. Two River Overlook Shelters
  15. Water
To protect new settlements in the Republic of Texas, General Edward Tarrant, the namesake for Tarrant County, commissioned Major Jonathan Bird to construct a fort near Caddo Village on the West Fork of the Trinity River. The location of the new Fort Bird would be on Caloway Lake, a now privately owned lake in today's Arlington, Texas.

Upon completion of the new fort, Major Bird and his crew of 36 volunteers blazed a wagon trail back to the old Fort Inglish, creating the Bird's Fort Trail. Fort Bird became the first official settlement in today's Tarrant County/

General Sam Houston, president of the Republic of Texas, traveled the Bird's Fort Trail in the summer of 1843 to Grape Vine Spring. There his officers negotiated the Treaty of Peace and Friendship with 10 Native American nations.

Subfacilities

  1. Bird's Fort Trail Shelter

    View Subfacility