Historical Markers

State of Texas Markers
The brackets indicate the year the marker was dedicated.
 
  • Bear Creek Community [2005] (3925 Jackson St.)
    This marker is located at the Jackie Townsell Bear Creek Heritage Center.
  • City of Irving [1986] (825 W. Irving Blvd.)
    This marker is south of the west door to the Civic Center Complex (City Hall). The Civic Center is near the intersection of MacArthur Blvd. and Rock Island Road.
  • Daniel Webster Gilbert, M.D. [1997] (Sowers Cemetery)
    Grave marker at Dr. Gilbert’s grave in Sowers Cemetery. The marker is just west of the marker for Sowers Cemetery.
  • First Baptist Church of Irving [1991] (403 S. Main St.)
    This marker is at the northeast corner of the church building. The building is in downtown Irving.
  • Gilbert Homestead Site [2005] (Story Rd. and Irving Blvd.)
    This marker is near the northwest corner of the intersection of Irving Blvd. and Story Rd.
  • Haley Memorial Cemetery [1989] (4100 W. Pioneer Drive)
    This marker is near the road. The cemetery is on the north side of Pioneer Drive about one mile east of Belt Line Road.
  • Joffre-Gilbert House [1999] (309 S. O'Connor Rd.)
    This marker is in front of the house, on the west side of S. O'Connor Rd., south of W. 2nd St.
  • Kit Cemetery [2012] (1413 E. Irving Blvd.)
    This marker is located on the road inside the cemetery.
  • Kit Community [2005] (Irving Blvd. and Irving Heights Dr.)
    This marker is at the intersection of Irving Blvd. and Irving Heights Dr.
  • Schulze House [1986] (303 S. O’Connor Rd.)
    This marker is in front of the house, which is in downtown Irving.
  • Shady Grove Road Bridge [1991] (Irving Blvd. at the Trinity River at the east city limits line)
    The marker is on the south side of Irving Blvd. at the head of the bridge.
  • Shelton's Bear Creek Cemetery [2000] (1525 N. Hard Rock Rd.)
    The marker is south of the intersection of N. Hard Rock Rd. and W. Pioneer Dr. in western Irving.
  • South MacArthur Church of Christ [1986] (1401 S. MacArthur Blvd.)
    This marker is at the northeast corner of the church building. The building is at the corner of MacArthur Blvd. and Shady Grove Road.
  • Sowers Cemetery [1973] (2900 W. Pioneer Drive)
    This marker is near the entrance to the cemetery. The cemetery is between Story Road and Belt Line Road.
  • Sowers Community [2005] (3207 W. Pioneer Dr.)
    This marker is located at the IISD Secondary Reassignment School.
  • St. Luke Catholic Church [1986] (202 S. MacArthur Blvd.)
    This marker is at the southwest corner of the church building. The building is on South MacArthur Boulevard just south of Rock Island Road.
  • Union Bower Community [2005] (2500 E. Grauwyler Rd.)
    This marker is east of the intersection of Grauwyler Rd. and Maryland Dr.
Irving Heritage Society Markers
The Irving Heritage Society has designed a historical marker that is available to mark historical sites in Irving in lieu of, or in addition to, the historical markers issued by the State of Texas. The markers are physically similar to the state markers. The brackets indicate the year the marker was dedicated.
 
  • Bird’s Fort Trail [1990] (1329 Walnut Hill Lane)
    This marker is at the Boy Scouts of America National Office. It stands in the parking lot on the opposite side from the building. The marker faces and is in line with the front door.
  • Brown-Parrish House [ca. 1986] (321 S. O’Connor Road)
    This marker is mounted on the front of the house. It is a logo marker only and does not include text.
  • California Crossing [1986] (California Crossing Road at the Trinity River)
    This marker is at the southeast corner of the intersection of Rochelle Road and California Crossing Road in a parking area.
  • Early Texas Trails [1990] (201 Rock Island Road)
    This marker is inside DART’s South Irving Transit Station in downtown Irving.
  • Gilbert House [1986] (309 S. O’Connor Road)
    This marker is mounted on the front of the house. It is a logo marker only and does not include text.
  • Jackie Mae Townsell [1995] (3929 Jackson St.)
    This marker is in the Jackie Townsell Bear Creek Heritage Center in west Irving.
  • Ledbetter Farm Road [1995] (Ledbetter Court)
    This marker is in the center of the cul-de-sac of Ledbetter Court in western Valley Ranch.
  • MacArthur Pump Station [2011] (1900 N. MacArthur Blvd.)
    This marker is on the east side of MacArthur Blvd., just south of Hwy. 183.
  • MAL Hobby Shop [2011] (108 Lee St.)
    This marker is located in front of the store.
  • Old Kit Cemetery [1998] (1401 E. Irving Blvd.)
    This marker is on the road inside the cemetery.
  • Pioneer Drive [2001] (600 W. Pioneer Dr.)
    This marker is in front of the City of Irving Family Advocacy Center, near the intersection of W. Pioneer Dr. and N. Sowers Rd. in south central Irving.

City of Irving Centennial Markers
In 2003, the City of Irving celebrated its centennial anniversary. As part of the celebration, the City created historical markers to be placed at sites of historical significance to the City. The dates indicate the year the structure was built or served its historic function.
 

  • Britain Family (Heritage Park, 217 S. Main St.)
    This marker is on the east side of the Caster Cabin in Heritage Park.
  • C. P. Caldwell House, 1925 (215 S. O'Connor Rd.)
    This marker is located in front of the house.
  • Caster Cabin (Heritage Park, 217 S. Main St.)
    This marker is in front of the Caster Cabin in Heritage Park.
  • City Hall Building, 1932-1956 (137 E. Second St.)
    This marker faces Second St. on the east side of the building near the intersection of Jefferson and Second streets.
  • Community Club House, 1936 (135 S. Jefferson St.)
    This marker is in front of the building facing Jefferson St. near the intersection of Jefferson and Second streets.
  • Dallas County Irving Fresh Water Supply District #5 (137 E. Second St.)
    This marker faces Second St. on the east side of the building near the intersection of Jefferson and Second streets.
  • Elm Community (3640 N. O'Connor Rd.)
    This marker is on the Woodhaven Presbyterian Church grounds, facing O'Connor Rd.
  • Estelle Community (Intersection of Valley View and Walnut Hill lanes)
    This marker is located on the east side of Valley View Ln., just south of the intersection with Walnut Hill Ln.
  • First United Methodist Church, 1908 (211 W. Third St.)
    This marker is on the south side of the grounds, facing Third St.
  • Haley House (315 W. Third St.)
    This marker is in front of the house.
  • Heritage House (303 S. O'Connor Rd.)
    This marker is in front of the house.
  • Howard-Beaufford House, 1904 (318 S. O'Connor Rd.)
    This marker is in front of the house.
  • Irving Lumber Company Site, 1903 (129 W. Irving Blvd.)
    This marker is near the sidewalk, facing W. Irving Blvd.
  • Joffre-Gilbert House, 1919 (309 S. O'Connor Rd.)
    This marker is in front of the house.
  • Library Building, 1951-1962 (217 S. Main St.)
    This marker is on the east side of the building in Heritage Park near the intersection of S. Main and Third streets.
  • Main Street (100 block of Main St.)
    This marker is located at the north end of Main St. near the clock tower.
  • Oak Haven United Methodist Church (1600 N. Irving Heights Dr.)
    This marker is in front of the church.
  • Oak View Baptist Church, 1950 (1004 S. Story Rd.)
    This marker is in the parking lot on the south side of the grounds.
  • Old Kit Cemetery (1401 E. Irving Blvd.)
    This marker is on the road inside the cemetery.
  • Otis Brown House, 1905 (321 S. O'Connor Rd.)
    This marker is in front of the house.
  • Otis Brown House, 1928 (303 S. Hastings St.)
    This marker is in front of the house facing Hastings St.
  • School Campus (200 S. Jefferson St.)
    This marker is located on the grounds of the Heritage Senior Center.
  • Schulze House Site, 1904 (110 S. Ohio St.)
    This marker is on S. Ohio St., between W. Irving Blvd. and W. Second St.
  • South Delaware Church of Christ Site, 1904 (102 S. Delaware St.)
    This marker faces S. Delaware St, between E. Irving Blvd. and E. Second St.
  • St. Luke's Catholic Church, 1902 (200 S. Jefferson St.)
    This marker is on the northwest side of the Heritage Senior Center grounds near the intersection of Jefferson and Second streets.
  • Twin Wells Community (2000 E. Shady Grove Rd.)
    This marker is in Twin Wells Park, just east of the intersection of Shady Grove Rd. and Loop 12.